Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo River
Even though I've lived in Orem for 25 years, I haven't fished the Provo River much. I started doing so this year. I've checked out all the access points. I've fished close to some these access points, but really haven't found any good holes etc. I've come to the conclusion that I need to know exactly "where" to fish on the middle and lower Provo River.

My question is: After you arrive at an access point, do you go north, south, how far from the access point etc.?

I have mainly nymph fished on the Provo.

Thanks

David
[signature]
In my experience you can catch fish anywhere on the Provo. From right at the pullout or hiking in a bit. The ones right at the parking areas are harder to catch but I learned from a guided trip I took with my wife last year that there are fish to be caught even right at the access points.

Go check out some of my Provo river fishing videos on YouTube.

Search for UtahTroutBumStories on YouTube. I have several videos fishing there.
[signature]
The Provo can be tough and also incredible that river sees thousands of bugs every day! I always fish upstream whether you walk down then fish up or just start up stream I think its better the farther from access points and when all else fails go smaller on your bugs and tippet! Most of all keep after it gotta experience the hard times to appreciate the good ones!!
[signature]
[quote dmchris] I've come to the conclusion that I need to know exactly "where" to fish on the middle and lower Provo River.
[/quote]

As others may have suggested, I think you need to work on "how" more than "where". There are a ton of fish in every hole on both of these rivers and they all get a good bit of pressure and have seen almost every fly out there. Presentation and technique, along with an idea of what type and size of fly to use, is much more important than where you are.

That said, on the middle, if you hike far away from access points (any direction), you will reduce the crowds you may have to contend with and that helps some. As for the lower, the way access is laid out, I don't think it matters much.
[signature]
[quote doggonefishin][quote dmchris] I've come to the conclusion that I need to know exactly "where" to fish on the middle and lower Provo River.
[/quote]

As others may have suggested, I think you need to work on "how" more than "where". There are a ton of fish in every hole on both of these rivers and they all get a good bit of pressure and have seen almost every fly out there. Presentation and technique, along with an idea of what type and size of fly to use, is much more important than where you are.

That said, on the middle, if you hike far away from access points (any direction), you will reduce the crowds you may have to contend with and that helps some. As for the lower, the way access is laid out, I don't think it matters much.[/quote]

I agree 100% and want to reiterate when he said,”size of fly”, that is big. Both of those rivers are pounded daily almost year round by guides and much more skilled fisherman than myself. Those fish have seen a thing or two and using a fly that is too big will rarely get eaten.
[signature]
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to "earn my stripes".
[signature]
don't forget line size, 6X is the biggest I use, sometimes 7X, better have a good pole or they'll break it off.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]