Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation - A brown short of a grand salami
I fished Starvation today along with TOPH2O, he in his pontoon and me in my tube. We launched around 6:00 and each headed a different direction. Mike was using jigs and I was using my usual fly gear.

We were both fishing the edges in shallow water (8' -15') and picking up mostly smallmouth and small walleye. The walleye ranged from about 11" to 17" and the smallmouth from 8" - 18". We picked up our first Starvation crappie today, ended with three, all about 11" -12" long. They were all released to help grow the population. Ended up with a couple of rainbows, one 8" perch, and a couple of carp. the only thing missing was a brown to complete the Starvation grand slam.[Wink]

The reservoir level is only at 73% and dropping and the water temperature was 68-70 degrees with visibility in the water of about 8'.

TopH20 will probalby chime in with more information and comments on his trip. He fished Wednesday evening in the same area and said he had a great time.

It was a fun day on the water although it was @#$Hot.[Wink]
[signature]
I can't add much to your typical fine report. On Wednesday evening I did fish from 6:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m.. The nearly full moon provided plenty of light and it was a very pleasant evening with temps around 75. I found the smallies to be very active just after dark. Many of the bigger SMB moved on to the shallows chasing the crawfish that were abundant. I used a glow in the dark single tail grub on an 1/8 oz. jighead, no worm needed.

I caught about 22 or 23 smallies on Wednesday night and I only picked up two walleye and both were smaller, probably around 12 inches.

A few of the smallmouth I caught after dark were around 16 to 17 inches and full of fight. These were the best smallmouth I've ever caught at Starvation. I was somewhat surprised I didn't get a few more walleye. I tried to take a couple of photos with my new smartphone but my arms aren't long enough and I couldn't see well enough to frame the fish correctly.

I didn't get any of the crappie, that was all Mr. Ogden with his fairy wand. He also caught one or two more walleye than I did today. I did get one walleye that was 17.5 inches to go with another 2 that were 12 inches. Nice fillets for dinner tomorrow night.

It was great to get with you again Tom, even though we were out of earshot most of the time. We'll have to do it again soon.

Mike
[signature]
Is there good room in rabbit gulch for camping. Can I still launch there. Just really love those walleyes, and small mouth. How was the wind? Thanks for a great report.
[signature]
I don't know if it was intentional, or just another hilarious result of your browser's "auto complete" function. But the Grand Salami in the title is a hoot.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]I don't know if it was intentional, or just another hilarious result of your browser's "auto complete" function. But the Grand Salami in the title is a hoot.[/quote]

I have had some senior moments in the past but that one was actually intentional.

It was just my attempt to be funny, which doesn't always work.

Glad you got a kick out of it.
[signature]
There were a number of large RVs in rabbit Gulch, but I was looking across the bay at the area. Tom and I accessed the lake at the end of the Indian Bay campground near the group camp site.

When I was at Rabbit Gulch two weeks ago there was shoreline accessible to RVs but I believe the area there is reserved for group camping and you must make a reservation. I suggest calling the State Park office and inquiring. The Park phone is 435-738-2326.

The shoreline at Rabbit Gulch is rough and there are a lot of weeds in the shallows which complicated launching our 'toons.

On Wednesday evening and during the day yesterday the winds were pretty tame considering it was Starvation. I don't think it was ever over 10 mph. If you have to launch a boat, use the main ramp. The lake is low and going down fast, watch for rocks!

Mike
[signature]
Thanks you were very helpful.
Im launching 16 aluminum.
[signature]