Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Left hand blue eyed minnows
I have come into possession of a minnow trap and would like some input as to where (close to SLC) that I might catch some minnows. Not asking for any secret places.
[signature]
[#0000FF]All of my go-to minnowing spots are almost dry...or choked full of weeds...or both. If you are up for a short hike trudge up to twin lake above Brighton. The minnows are red-side shiners. Get soft easy when frozen and (in my opinion) not as universally good for all species as chubs seem to be. But they do work and are preferred by some anglers.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There are some holes on the Jordan River where you can find carp and sucker minnows. Takes some looking and some luck. And be sure you do not keep any "protected species".[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Another potential spot is/are the little lakes in Deer Valley. The number and size of minnows varies from year to year but there are chubs, goldfish, fathead minnows and crawdads. I have done well on a few trips and got nothing worth keeping on others.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Do they allow minnow trapping in the community fisheries? Or does the "two fish of any species" limit apply to minnows, also?
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is a good question. Those lakes have changed back and forth regulationwise several times over the years. It was formerly one of the community fisheries and minnow harvesting was allowed then. But at that time is was artificial lure only and I know of one minnow catcher who was fishing for minnows with a tiny hook and worm who got busted for that.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Probably wouldn't be a good idea to start throwing a cast net or minnow traps until you got a clarification. And then hope that any CO who showed up was also hip to the rules.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I quit even going up there because my last three trips were bust-outs. But I did have a few good runs before then.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for all the help and advice. I may have to make do with Gulp minnows.
[signature]