Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp Question
I took my grand kids to the Roy pond for the fishing derby Saturday July 28 . The young man just down the bank from us caught what Iam was a dying carp, I'm sure a catch and release. The DNR guy came over and took some pictures then came back with a proclamation and said it was a grass carp unlawful to keep . I've been looking everywhere through the proclamation and I can't find a picture of a grass carp anywhere ,and the only place I can find them in Utah is Salem Pond. Can anyone help me out .
[signature]
[#0000FF]Here is a picture that provides fairly good detail. They have a much different mouth than common carp. They are voracious feeders on aquatic vegetation and are used a lot for weed control. But they are usually triploid and don't reproduce so are not the problem with population explosion that common carp are. However, they are expensive and those that plant them usually establish laws against killing or keeping them.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline "GRASS CARP.jfif"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
There were some planted in Wellsville pond up in Cache Valley a few years ago. There were signs posted that they were in there, that they couldn't reproduce and that any caught must be released unharmed. I don't fish there a lot, but I have never seen one in there, and I have seen few places where the weeds are as thick as that pond.
[signature]
I have seen a group of them canoeing around in wellsville, in the big bend around the west bank that is very steep and has some deadfall. I have also caught a few out of skylar's pond out by the willow park zoo. the ones I have caught and seen are much darker than the picture above.
[signature]
When I saw the pictures of them they reminded me of the tench that I saw anglers going for when I visited England for a couple of years back in the seventies. Turns out they are relatives in the minnow family. I live only a few miles from Salem and have been meaning to go try my hand at catching some. The IGFA world record weighed over 88 pounds. Below is a photo of a record fish from England:
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Looking at these photos there is no possible way this fish was a grass carp , just as I'd thought it to be a common carp like the other billion that reside around utah.
[signature]
Come on icejunkie, it has to be cause the DNR guy said it was..
Guess you'll have to find a different grass to smoke. Haha
When you gonna take me Fishin?
[signature]
My 18 year old grandson, living in England with his mom, has fished several of the local Carp Tournaments. Think he may have won one a few years ago. I'll have to find the photo he sent.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
My grandson with one of his Carp
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool