Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington North - Not on fire but it sure smelled like it.
I fished HN from my tube today from 11:15 until 2:45 using a fast sinking line and a size 8 bead head tan soft hackle. I picked up a few Bluegill/Green Sunfish, Rainbows, and a few chubs. I keep trying to get into a Wiper or two but that hasn't worked out so well for me. One good thing about the chubs that I have caught this year, they have all been big, no small ones, so I'm hoping the wipers are taking care of the small ones.

With all the fires burning in the west you could hardly see the mountains for the smoke. I quit a little sooner than I wanted too because my eyes felt like I'd been in a bar all night.[Wink]

The water temperature was 71-74 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 4'. The reservoir level is rising and is up to 59% full.

There were some Wiper slurps during the day but not for very long and not very often. I hooked one other rainbow and a few small bass and bluegill but that was it. The rainbows were all about the same size, 17" to 18" and very scrappy for the warm water temperatures.
[signature]
Wow you are a brave fellow to go at that time frame with the heat and folks on the water.
[signature]
I like your Gary Winterton sucker.[Wink] I saw that episode and got a good laugh out of his calling them suckers.
[signature]
Try the wipers at first and last light and maybe try a little larger fly. (A big as you can throw.) I'll bet you could make it happen.
[signature]
[quote Saltslam]Try the wipers at first and last light and maybe try a little larger fly. (A big as you can throw.) I'll bet you could make it happen.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I might have to try something bigger. I fished it last week from 6:30 until 12:30 and didn't get a hit until after 10:30, that's why I didn't start until late yesterday.

I do okay in April and May for the wipers but once the water hits the 70's I have a hard time hooking up.[:/]
[signature]