Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutler/Benson 8/1
Had the night off but Tblanchard26 had to work till 11. So me and my daughters headed out to benson around 8. Wasn't there long and i caught the first one around 23.5" followed up with a 21" and a 27". Then my youngest daughter caught a 24". Then i managed to catch 4 more a 27", 28.5", another 27", and a "25. Then my oldest caught a nice 28". Tblanchard26 made it out after she got off work and it wasn't long and she landed a 29" and soon after a 28.5" and a 21". I caught the last fish of the night a 26". Definitely a great night of fishing.
[signature]
Very nice job!!! I'm going to have to take a lesson from you so I can get my catching going again. That's a great batch of fish way to go. Later J
[signature]
We've definitely been having a great year. Still searching to break that 30" mark though
[signature]
Best of luck, someone needs to hold off team south and I'm not helping much lately so I hope you guys can carry on the battle... How are the bugs at night lately? Guess I better remember the repellant if I make it out again... Later J
[signature]
There are definitely lots of bugs out if there isn't a breeze. But we bought some table top tiki torches and have been using them out there. As well as still using bug spray and it's been working pretty good to keep the bugs down to a minimum.
[signature]
"oh my" Tblanchard26 even gave you a head start. [Image: bobwink.gif] Realtree
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Thanks for the bug update. Later J
[signature]
On a serious note; are the catfish in Cutler good table fare, as apposed to Willard?
[signature]
Hate to fess up to this but Willard are better eaters. If you have any fat on the Cutler cats it really degrades the eating of them and most cats are really fat up here so you have to trim carefully. I pretty much catch and release here and if I want to eat some I go to Willard and catch a few. Is that like not being true to your school??? Later J
[signature]
I've eaten lots of cats from cutler and even though i think they're good. I would have to agree that they are better out of Willard. But in my opinion if you want even better eating then you need to catch some wipers but be sure to trim off all the red meat.
[signature]
I have noticed the slower and warmer the water the more help they need in the flavor department when eating them.
No matter where I catch them I trim the fat as I cut them into cooking size pieces then soak it overnight in buttermilk, Rinse just before dipping in whatever deepfry coating.

The only time I won't do that is if I can luck into some while ice fishing. Which has happened a couple times at Willard and Echo.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
I'll agree with you on those wiper for sure!!! I really like to eat those. But trimming does make them eat a lot better. Later J
[signature]
Thanks guys. I only fished there (river actually) once. Did not catch anything. I haven't read of anyone eating the Cats from there so I wanted to know just in case I do. I have come to really enjoy eating catfish and don't want to get into anything that might ruin my taste for them.

rj
[signature]