Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC night trip
Hit DC last night starting at 8pm.
BB'ing for walleyes was the plan but these healthy fellers got in the way, but I did not mind one bit!
Could barely go more than a few minutes without them attacking the harness. Even switched to an artificial worm and they still took it.
Hits were good but many fish were missed while trying to bounce four poles.
Ended up with two solid meals, released everything under tenners, and my buddy caught an old pole.
That good of perch action was a nice treat to end a very hot smoky day.
Plus, I got a free hook but I have no idea why someone would be using that size of hook in DC......
P.S. Do not expect the skiers to quit when they are supposed to. Some boats had spotlights and kept going for an hour after sundown. Saw a little fishing boat almost get hit cause the tow boat occupants were all watching the skier and the radio was cranked.
C'mon state, let's go odd/even days for wakeless days at DC!!!!!
[signature]
Very skilled with that knife!

I gave up on DC, I'll go back after labor day. Not worth the head ache. Too bad too because it's so close.
[signature]
Thank you for the compliment.
It really is too bad that DC has been ruined by so much noise pollution and inconsiderate watercraft operators.
I would strongly support the State if an operators license was required, if nothing else other than to teach some ramp/ wakeless proximity etiquette. It could be something as simple as being patterned after the Extended archery season course that a bowhunter MUST possess to hunt the Wasatch Front. If you are not familiar with that course it was designed and then mandated for the simple fact to instill in bowhunters that they must tow the line while interacting with users of the same property with very different interests. Unfortunately only the bowhunters had to pass an ethics test, not the photographers/hikers/horseback riders/runners/mountain bikers,etc. It is a no cost test but must be completed or else fined and privileges lost.
Out of curiousity, would you return to DC if every other day the lake had a wakeless rule?
Back east a very popular way to make lakes safe is no engines larger than 10 hp are allowed to be operated.
I'll be the first to sign the petition.
[signature]
This is a major problem all along the Wasatch front. The problem at Pineview resulted in the death of a woman several years ago. Increased enforcement helped for a time, but things are back the way they were. Willard, Deer Creek, and Jordanelle all have problems with the power squadron. Best way to deal with it is go early and leave when the appear. IF you get on the water at safe first light and get off by 10:30, you miss most of the garbage. A Go-pro camera is also helpful to take good pictures of the offenders to download for the parks guys !! Don't like the motor restriction much, but the idea of alternate days has some appeal.
I remember the Pineview incident, very Sad. I heard the report said she had been cut by the propeller so badly she couldn't even be lifted in to a boat.
Really, I don't like either idea of motor restriction or alternate days.
I don't even like the idea of a boater course.
I definitely don't want to see a ' maximum capacity' type restriction, who wants to go boating knowing you barely made the cut off till the lake was 'maxed' out.
I could live with the lake being divided in half, IF enforced properly.
Out of the five options I would prefer the alternate days because something does need to change before tragedy strikes again.
Last friday night I witnessed a boat pulling a tube of kids in so much darkness when he came off plane he was in the mud on the flat. We watched him struggle to power off the flat to get back deep enough. Poor prop.
I would also love to see a stereo volume knob restriction but now I am asking for way to much!
When I fish DC I do almost exactly as you said, I go early and I have my alarm set at 10 am. The second the alarm goes off, I immediately pack up and leave.
On the plus side, I get home early to chase my wife around.
Problem is, she never let's me catch her......
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good points. Problem is that no matter what "solutions" the powers come up with there will be folks who don't like them. Too many different interests and attitudes.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]On some of the busy (smaller) lakes in Arizona they not only limit the number of boats allowed on the lake, they also institute a one-direction rule...where all boats must travel around the lake in one direction. Newcomers to these lakes quickly run afoul of fellow boaters and get tickets. After while it becomes self-policing.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]You wrote: [/#0000FF]"On the plus side, I get home early to chase my wife around. Problem is, she never let's me catch her......"

[#0000FF]There can be a lot of comparisons between fishing and "domestic tranquility". One good rule for both is "don't let your bait get stale".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
hey, saw your fillet pic and have a suggestion. as you cut down towards the tail don't cut all the way through, keep the fillet attached at the tail, flop it over and skin with the tail still attached. negates have to clamp or hold the fillet to skin. it's easy to cut the bellies out then also. I've done thousands of perch over my 53 years and had to learn the hard way. just a suggestion, hope it helps.
[signature]
Thank you for the suggestion, the reason I do it this way is due to my physical handicap.
I am missing my left hand and to not have the fillet anchored as close as possible to the clamp the fillet 'gets away' from me and I don't get as good a cut as I would like.
Have a great day.
[signature]