Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping at Flaming Gorge?
Plan on heading to the Gorge for the first time this week for a few days. Will just be me and my boat. Looking for a good place to tent camp that is also close to a launching area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Swim beach is a good spot. Fishing off the shore is usually pretty good to. Lucerne boat launch is just right around the corner.
[signature]
Tons of choices. Swim Beach/Stateline, as Sharksugar said. There's a campground with shaded tables, bathrooms, etc right at Lucerne, a stone's throw from the ramp. Down lake on Sheep Creek, there are two USFS campgrounds with much more shade (Its HOT right now!). They are just a few minutes from Sheep Creek boat ramp. There's dispersed camping on the entire Wyoming end off of Highway 530 from the Pipeline north, just about forever. Dozens of dirt roads to the lake. Ramps at Anvil Draw and Brinegars. Down near the dam, several campgrounds, some with shade, close to Cedar Springs ramp on the south side, and Mustang ramp on the north side of the dam. And campgrounds on the mountain at higher elevation between Sheep Creek and the dam! 15-20 minutes from a ramp of your choice, with cooler temps and shade. There ain't no shade from Lucerne ramp north to, oh, roughly Jackson, WY!
[signature]
[quote Tarponjim]Tons of choices. Swim Beach/Stateline, as Sharksugar said. There's a campground with shaded tables, bathrooms, etc right at Lucerne, a stone's throw from the ramp. Down lake on Sheep Creek, there are two USFS campgrounds with much more shade (Its HOT right now!). They are just a few minutes from Sheep Creek boat ramp. There's dispersed camping on the entire Wyoming end off of Highway 530 from the Pipeline north, just about forever. Dozens of dirt roads to the lake. Ramps at Anvil Draw and Brinegars. Down near the dam, several campgrounds, some with shade, close to Cedar Springs ramp on the south side, and Mustang ramp on the north side of the dam. And campgrounds on the mountain at higher elevation between Sheep Creek and the dam! 15-20 minutes from a ramp of your choice, with cooler temps and shade. There ain't no shade from Lucerne ramp north to, oh, roughly Jackson, WY![/quote]

Jim, we have only driven past the campgrounds by sheep creek and noticed the better shade, I was wondering if either has electric hookups? We don't have an RV but do need to plug the boat in and prefer not to bring a generator.
[signature]
No electric in Sheep Creek. If you need that, I would suggest just staying right at Lucerne.
[signature]
Thanks so much. Excited to try that place out.
[signature]
We love camping at Firefighter campground near the dam.
From there it's a short drive to Cedar Springs Marina
We fish both the dam and the river and it's close to both.

There are also 2 campgrounds right in Cedar Springs, if all you will be doing is boating. These campgrounds are very nice for tenting. They even have showers there.
[signature]
I plan on fishing mostly but also want to do some exploring for future trips. Thanks for the recommendations.
[signature]