Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Battery charging
I am looking for the best solution for charging two batteries off of my outboard.
Currently I have two identical Marine batteries, and only one (Main Starting battery) gets charged. I have been researching the difference between Switches (like Perko, etc) vrs Isolators.... Does any one have experience with either ?

Will an Isolator allow me to hook up and forget about it ?

thoughts ?
[signature]
[quote catfishbait]I am looking for the best solution for charging two batteries off of my outboard.
Currently I have two identical Marine batteries, and only one (Main Starting battery) gets charged. I have been researching the difference between Switches (like Perko, etc) vrs Isolators.... Does any one have experience with either ?

Will an Isolator allow me to hook up and forget about it ?

thoughts ?[/quote]

I recently installed the Minn Kota alternator charger, best $103 I have spent this year. How many amps is your alternator putting out?
[signature]
I will have to take a measurement on Amp output next trip out. Not sure off the top of my head. I wasnt aware of anything like your Minn Kota alternator charger.
Looks promising.
[signature]
[quote catfishbait]I will have to take a measurement on Amp output next trip out. Not sure off the top of my head. I wasnt aware of anything like your Minn Kota alternator charger.
Looks promising.[/quote]

You can usually google the motor and it will tell you the output at idle and full throttle.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You didn't say what each of the 2 batteries is used for, so it's difficult to advise you on the solution to your problem. I have 2 cranking batteries and 2 electric trolling motor batteries (hooked in series to provide 24 volts to my Minn Kota) on my boat. The 2 cranking batteries are run through a[/#800000][/font] [url "http://www.perko.com/catalog/battery_switches/148/medium_duty_battery_selector_switch/"]Perko 8501 Medium Duty Battery Selctor Switch[/url]. [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Since both gas motors have alternators and charge, I leave the switch in the 'BOTH' position and apply the charging current to both batteries all the time. The Minn Kota bateries are connected to an on board, 2-bank charger and are plugged into a 110 outlet at home or at my campsite. So what is your configuration and what is it you want to accomplish?[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I would suggest to you that it would be a bad idea to use your cranking battery (used to start your gas motor) to ever run an electric trolling motor.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for the reply Bob.....

Im setup with two batteries, one for starting the engine, one for all accessories including the electric trolling motor. The engine puts out 4 amps charging.
Im thinking this Perko Switch it the right way to go .

thanks again.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]That's what I thought; one of the batteries was probably to run an electric trolling motor. Here's the deal on that without knowing which brand/model electric motor you have. Your gas motor puts out 4 amps. Depending on how much thrust your electric motor has, you will draw anywhere between about 5 amps up to 50 amps per hour - depending on the electric motor speed setting. Your charging amps aren't anywhere close to being able to keep up with that much draw. And if you aren't running your gas motor the entire time you are running your electric motor, your batteries will discharge to the point that you will not be able to start your gas motor with the battery(s).[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Set your second battery up to JUST run the electric trolling motor and charge that battery at home after each fishing trip with either a car battery charger or an onboard 1-bank charger made to be installed on the boat permanently. Leave all the other accessories on your boat hooked up to the cranking battery. The current draw from those other accessories is likely very little and a cranking battery with about a 100 amp hour rating will handle them just fine even if the gas motor isn't being run to troll with as I do with mine. I use my gas trolling motor to push the boat forward in a straight line and set the average trolling speed and then I use the electric trolling motor up front to steer the boat and fine tune the speed to account for wind direction & speed changes.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I would not recommend that you need to install one of the Perko switches for your application. Hope this helps with your situation.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][fishin][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Buy a blue sea systems battery switch with an automatic charging relay (ACR). That way it combines the batteries while running so both charge and isolates them when not running so your starter batter will not get run down when you are on the hook and using the lights and stereo. It is a wonderful system!!
[signature]