Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing lure builders.
I have about had it with the poor quality junk I keep buying.

I cant find a good ice lure with quality hooks and a tie job that lasts more than 50 fish.

I really dont want to take up the art of lure making. But this low quality tackle is going to force me to do it.

Unless that is, one of you guys wants to make some money building jigs for me!
[signature]
I hear ya...I fished this weekend and was having a heck of a time just pushing the hook thru the waxworm until I changes ice flies then no problem! I've used that fly for a month and a half and now the hook is dull. Its also too small for "me" to try to sharpen it!
[signature]
I buy lures that have a ring that attaches the hook to it. That way I can put a new hook on a spoon or a spinner [like a Kastmaster]when it gets dull. If I can get 50 fish out of one hook then I think it has served me well and I can replace it. I also take the treble hooks off and use a single stainless hook in its place with great results. I do agree that rat finkies have bad hooks on them. Too soft and dull from the factory. I have used painted jig heads and added my own patterns on them with great results. Some people just add bait to a lead jig head without any body. I'll bet HFT can give us some tips on good sharp jig heads that will hold up to our needs. DKS
[signature]
I really need to get up there and get some boogers, mine are kinda green and runny.
[signature]
gamakastu jig heads are the sharpest I have seen, straight out of the box, and they are tough.

I want to get some jigs built up with gamkatsu heads, and instead of chenile, or however you spell that, maybee use some wire pipe cleaners. That way all the body material will be a bit tougher. That ought to solve the problems of the hooks bending, and the body tearing up. The question is, will it catch as many fish?
[signature]
[cool]Once you have a jig mold, you can use any kind of hooks you want. I usually use the Eagle Claw 575 hooks, which are among the least expensive and are plenty strong, if you use good line, good sense and a properly set drag. I never have to sharpen them out of the box and seldom miss a real strike...or have the fish come unbuttoned after the hookset.

As far as materials and workmanship, there are a wondrous array of new and colorful synthetic products. Some are available through tackle outlets. Many others can be found in craft stores...such as the super tough "craft cord" I use on many of my newer creations.

When it comes to "fabbing them up", the quality is pretty much a matter of what the intended use is. If you are fishing jigs around structure, most will not last long enough to come apart from fishie wear and tear. If you are harvesting large numbers of fish on a single jig, then you want to build it right. If I want a jig to last, I begin by laying a line of cement along the shank before the initial wrap, and then cement each step along the way. I finish with a good application of clear jig paint, rather than plain old head cement. It would take C-4 to blow one apart.

Same thing with materials. Flimsy feathers don't last long. Flashabou or Krystal Flash will last almost forever...although it will get chewed up after fifty fish or so. But, sometimes the more tattered a jig gets, the better the fish seem to like it.

Hook sharpening? No hook can remain needle sharp after being assaulted by a lot of fish and being dinged on a few rocks. I keep a small diamond hone for quick touchups.

Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work a deal.
[signature]
Interesting predicament,companys can make jigs that are indistructable and extreemly sharp but who is willing to pay the price. Unfortunately I guarrantee they will sell 300 to 1 of the cheep jig. As far as a jig falling apart. I would believe it is the Tyer as appossed to the material,usually a chenelle pulls out from under the thread before it breaks apart. I've had jigs fall apart after 2 fish that is irritating,30 fish is not too bad a number. Many of the times I ruin the jig my self with forcepts taking the hook out.

Pred. stop by for a 10 minute lesson on jig tying you can tie jigs that will last through a 100 fish and every once in a while it will blow apart on the first fish.
[signature]