Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo Res. Too Low To Launch
I fished Echo today. One huge advantage to fishing out of an inflatable pontoon is that you don't need a boat ramp. Echo has been drawn down so low that the end of the boat ramp is out of the water. Much lower than it was two weeks ago. I did see a couple smaller trailered boats launch on a rocky point North of the boat ramp. Lots of boaters walked down the ramp and then changed their minds and went elsewhere.

Fishing was good. Lots of small mouth, a perch, and half dozen rainbows. All were caught throwing crank baits.

Lots of blue green algae. Water temp was 68 when I got there at 7AM. Air temp was 37. Water warmed up to 71 by the time I left.
[signature]
We did not have any issues launching my boat on Tues, we went beside the old boat ramp to the west of the new one, just around that rocky point you mentioned, although my boat isn't huge, I don't think anyone would have a problem launching any boat there. Glad you did good, too bad the perch don't seem too willing though, I blame it on that little cold front that came through, hopefully with a little warmer weather, catching will improve for them. What was the biggest bass you caught?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you got a rematch...and got some more good crankin' practice. Looks like you are reinforcing your decision to go inflatable. There can be advantages and diSadvantages.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The simplicity and stealth of the inflatable for smaller waters is quite appealing. Two duffel bags and my fishing gear in the back of the Subaru and I'm off. When I have company along or I need longer range, the Hewes Craft will still be pressed into service.

I motored over to the North (noisey) side and fished below the Freeway. I did just as well as I did on the South side 2 weeks ago. Based on what I saw on sonar, Echo is covered with perch from side to side. I also saw clouds of smaller fish which would explain the well feed small mouth and occasional 3+ lb fish.

The carp shooters need to spend some time on Echo. Lots of them in large groups on the surface.

I took the MinnKota 30lb motor this time. I got the Scadden craft all the way up to 2.8 mph. With a little stream lining I think I can hit 3!!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Next thing ya know you'll be wantin' to tow a water skier. The need for speed.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I haven't had the hankerin' to get back to Echo yet, but I definitely will. And I will try to learn a bit more about the ecosystem and the underwater topography. All that for the purpose of trying to catch more of the "exotics"...crappies, cats and walleyes. Perch, trout and smallies are a given. I like a challenge.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Not sure my fins as a rudder steering method would work at speeds needed to get on a plane... Probably rip my fins and boots right off.[sly]
[signature]