Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATV'S ABOVE HIGH WATER
I was listening to a conversation between two people who are kinda in the know in utah outdoors the other day and they were talking about a proposal in utah to ban all atv"s on utah waterways below high water mark has anyone else heard anything to that effect?if that is the case that will really put the binders on those of us that fish big ponds like the gorge and the berry also for older folks and children or disabled people.the thought of dragging two or three hundred pounds of gear out on the gorge three or four miles does not sound fun.just wondering if anyone else knows anything?
[signature]
Sound like another enviromentalist way to close off access for those of us who enjoy a little noise with our outdoor activities. Chicken.
[signature]
[size 2]The following is my option and is a collection of information I received from contacts at the Bureau of Reclamation, water suppliers, and State Parks. To the best of my knowledge the information I have compiled and written below is correct. If you have other information that is different or in addition to what I have please PM me.

The discussion that is taking place about OHV’s on Utah waterways is if they should be allowed. At this time Utah State Parks Code [/size][url "http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r651/r651-615.htm#E5"][#800080][size 2]RU651-615-6[/size][/#800080][/url][size 2] states “The operation of vehicles off road is prohibited within the boundaries of all park areas except those with designated off-highway vehicle riding areas. Operation of off-highway vehicles is prohibited on all park area roads unless authorized in accordance with the provisions of the Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Act”. The director of parks and the OHV director have addressed this issue. Most park managers will allow you to ride on the ice and not enforce the code; however some will enforce the code. Doug Miller and KSL radio’s Outdoors Utah show has addressed the issue with state parks.

Here is a list of parks that will turn their back on riding OHV’s on the ice.

“The following parks will most likely not ticket you if you unload and ride down the boat ramp and ride your OHV on the ice; Scofield, Hyrum, Rock Cliff, Hailstone, Millsite, Otter Creek, Rockport, Starvation, and Yuba. Bear Lake State Parks will not allow OHV’s be unload in the park but will allow you to use them on the ice. The same parks most likely will not issue tickets for dogs off leashes in the park or on the ice.

East Canyon, Huntington, Utah Lake, Willard will issue tickets for using OHV’s in the park or on the ice. The same parks will issue tickets for dog off leash in the park Willard is the only one that will issue for dogs off leash on the ice.

Deer Creeks land lease dose not allow them to let dogs or OHV’s on the beach or ice.”

How can this problem be solved you ask?

There are three major agencies involved in the issue. Most state parks land is owned by the federal government Bureau of Reclamation and they have a management program that is created though public hearings when the dam was built. This program dictates to the state what they can do on the land. This program or document receives input from the owners of the water behind the dam and in some cases they will not allow OHV use around or on the water. For some dams it is the owners of the properties surrounding the water that will not let the OHV’s be ridden on the property. The argument the B.O.R. brings up is that OHV user’s take-out all types of trash and leave it there for the B.O.R. to clean up later.

State Parks are in the process of reviewing the management program for each park to see if they can allow OHV’s. If there is nothing to restrict the use of OHV’s they will take the issue to the State Park Board of directors to get the rule changed.

The recommendation to the board may consist of listing park you can and can not ride at and posting signage at each park. This recommendation will be addressed at the April or June board meeting; I will post on the board here when it gets put on the calendar. If you have comments about this, post them here or contact State Parks P.R. office 537-3477 or a board member.
[/size]
[signature]
Wow, good post and a lot of useful information. Thanks for letting us in on your knowledge.
[signature]
Why don't they issue a winter/ice stamp for the parks. That way they'll get their money to keep the parks open all year and you can ride during the ice fishing season at any park. They wouldn't have to change any of their ATV laws just add a conditional use stamp.
[signature]
If I can't take my wheeler ice fishing I'm going to be pissed.[mad][mad][mad]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks for the useful info, FW. You may have saved a ticket to alot of us.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm pretty amazed at the inconsistency of our park lands. There is no intent to make things simple. As I see it, they are setting people up to fail. As far as the garbage issue goes, I'd be more inclined to haul it out on an OHV than packing it out on my back. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I pay $70 for a yearly permit for day use activities. This includes launching a boat. What is the difference between a boat on open water or an OHV on the ice? I don't believe I should have to pay more or be denied access to waters I have already purchased a permit to use and will not impact the body of water in any way more than a lawful watercraft.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If the problem or worries are litter or people abusing the state parks by riding their OHV's on or thru the camp grounds or all over the parks boundries other than the ice than outlaw it and fine heavily. People will figure it out fast but by having some many different restrictions on different state parks and bodies of water, we are setting good, law abiding citizen up for trouble by making honest mistakes by breaking inconsistent laws.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]What ever happens should happen state wide. I then know what my options are all the time but if the state decides to restrict access to OHV's then I may decide that my money will go else where. That's my two cents...[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the info . Lot to know out there , and I had no idea of were I could go in my ATV . I hope it all works out , so I can continue to use my atv on the ice . Keep us informed on this hot subject . Thanks
[signature]
again thanks for the info. this is another case where we need to get the elderly and the diabled on our side, by stopping atv use on the ice is just another way to stop them from enjoying the outdoors.
let's all work together to keep this from hapening.
[signature]