Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT Tube-Tilla 9-10-18
[#0000ff]Pa and I had planned to hit Jordanelle today. But the warm temps have probably not been cool enough to get that lake to turn the seasonal corner. So we opted for Willard. I usually don't like to fish after a warm weekend...not because of anything fishy biology wise...but because of the heavy water traffic. Helps to give the fish a day or so to settle down. But the weather forecast is for windy the rest of the week so Monday it was.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were launched at the north marina by 7 am. Lots of shad rolling and jumping off the ramp. No boils. Air temp 54 and water temp just under 72. Need to drop a few degrees for the fall fling.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were both fishing fligs with perch meat on one rod and throwing some kind of plastic on another. Lee scored the first catfish about 7:30. I got started right after and managed to bring in 10-12 cats over the next 4 hours. Not fast fishing but good enough to keep up the interest...and stretch the string a bit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only three or four boats on the lake. Of course one had to be a ski boat that started making runs back and forth to Eagle beach and through the float tubers. A good hard freeze might get rid of the midges (terrible early), skeeters and skiers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About mid morning some grizzly old dude in a tin boat hollered that I was fishing in his hole. Before I could tell him what he could do with his hole he clued me in that he was BFTer r2u2...the guy who is usually in the banana yak. He moved on toward the north dike as I began moving back toward the boat channel.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Then I spotted another old BFT derelict...FatBiker. I hadn't given him advance warning that I was planning to fish the north marina today so he showed up. Lately he has a habit of avoiding meeting up with me on the water. Blames it on his girlfriend. Yeah, right. He admitted to having caught a few cats too. No shame. No class.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lee and I hung it up early. I had kept about 5 fish for the fryer. Lee had a similar amount. We both agreed that we have had far worse days. Pleasant weather and a nice day...even with all the other BFT riffraff on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big downer of the day was the fish cleaning station. Either it is broken down again...or still from two weeks ago. Nasty.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for another great day on the water. Im still spitting out midges. (yuck). the catching was steady enough to hold the interest. Also the new rod holders are super .
Thank you Pat. Ive got another reason to be pissed at that big carp that stole my flig. When I got home I noticed the housing on that Mitchell reel was cracked. ugg. And I thought that net on my head would at least hide a little of my ugliness. Boy was I wrong. Maybe this week I will remember to get a new camera so I can prove some of my lies. hehe.
[signature]
All in all, sounds like a good day at WB....do you even try for the wipers and walleyes there anymore, or are there so few, or not quite cold enough yet? Still, I do recognize a good catch for you et all....Guluk....
[signature]
[#0000FF]First of all, I ain't a "elitist". I don't just chase catfish and disdain anything else. Actually, the lures, baits and techniques I use catch all species in Willard. I have lots of pictures of crappies, wipers and walleyes with my "standard" baits and lures hanging out of their kissers. Most fish in that pond make a living on the same forage base so they also hit the same lures and baits. Of course you may have to vary your presentations to appeal more to one species or another.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But...when the numbers of wipers and walleyes are at the current low levels I am plenty happy to get tugs from catfish. They hit hard, fight hard and eat good.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Most of the (very few) skunk days I have had on Willard have been while "washing lures" while riding in someone's boat...fishing for wipers and/or walleyes. And my best days of fishing for both species have happened while fishing my ubiquitous stuff and lucking into some active fish of those species. I'm always properly grateful when that happens and do not take it for granted.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Wiper numbers are abysmally low. Walleye numbers are (supposedly) better, but with the warm weather and abundant food (shad) the walleyes are just not actively foraging during daylight hours. And they don't have to chase the silly stuff anglers put in front of them to stay healthy.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I do anticipate (hope for) some better fishing during October and into November...for ABC (anything besides catfish).
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, we've definitely had worse days. Maybe not midgewise. They were a scourge about daybreak. Glad to see the swallows come swarming in to reduce their numbers.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Sorry about your reel. Those nasty carp just got no class. And to steal a flig too. No problem. I know a guy who makes them when you need more.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD, it's always nice to join in on an "old geezers day at the bay". Pulled the perch meat you gave me for another hour. Three more kitties tamed after you left. I'd guess our final count came out about the same. Ended up keeping the five biggest and returned at least that many back to grow some more.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good to see you again, sir. Glad you got some good tugs.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]About that picture. I hope you kept that cat...after cutting off half its head. I know, I know. There are limitations when fishing by yourself and need to take pics. You either gotta grow longer arms or someone needs to develop something like an extendo fish selfie stick to hold the fish out far enough to get a good photo.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat, Is this what the fish grinder looked like?

[inline "(0138) How I found it.jpg"]

That's what it looked like today, and this is what was in it.

[inline "(0139) 2 Wiper, 8 Catfish.jpg"]

In that pile of carcasses, at least what I could identify, 2 BIG Wiper, and 6 to 8 large Catfish.

And this is how I left it.........................

[inline "(0141) after clearing.jpg"]

[inline "(0143) how I left it.jpg"]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000FF]You're a good boy. You'd make someone a good wife.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Were you able to use it after cleaning it out. The last time I found it that way and cleaned out the fish the grinder still wasn't working.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If people could read and follow directions they would not put all their fish in there before turning it on. But some of those dimbulbs probably can't even read.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yep, took the cover off (4 screws and nuts, been an aircraft mechanic for 45 years) the grinder was turning, but just bouncing a big catfish head around and not grabbing it. After pulling all those fish out, I turned it on, fed in one fish at a time, worked fine. Then cleaned my fish, fed the grinder it's carcass. Put the shaft cover back on (didn't even drop any screws or nuts [sly]) washed it all down, and as my dad used to say "don't leave it like you found it, if it's screwed up, fix it and leave it BETTER than you found it."

I ain't built right to be a good, or even a bad wife. I've had 3 of those, so I know. [laugh] [laugh]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice job Forest... Thanks J
[signature]
Mighty fine basket of cats you had there. Great report as always Pat.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Well, looky who sneaked in the back door when nobody was lookin'. Howya doin' Glenn?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Thanks fer the kindly words. Have you and the Mrs. been getting out on the water?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
We are doing well, thanks.

Yard projects, and two boat trips this year thus far to Strawberry for Kokanee. Went on dayshift about six months back and the wife and I only went out on the tubes once this spring at Trial Lake. It was slow fishing that day. Going to try Currant Creek in couple weeks weather permitting.

I'd love to get out with you this fall sometime. I have vacation days I can use to get out midweek so let me know if you have somewhere you'd like to go or where we can meet up. A couple days advance notice would be helpful for scheduling time off.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Utah Lake is low...again. So if you are up for launching off the rocks at Lincoln we could rassle some kitties. Willard has been good too...and should hold up well for a couple of months.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Shoot me an email or PM with potential open dates and I can try to work my "busy" retired schedule around your lousy work schedule. The doctor prescribes some fall fishing for you. Howdy to Mama and Daniel.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You are such a great guy!! Thanks for fixing that fish cleaning station up! That's why I still have faih in humanity. But it's getting harder to with this new generation starting to take over...

humpy
[signature]
Where do you get those jigs?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Are you referring to the "fligs"? They are floating jigs. They float the bait or plastic up off the bottom and provide color and/or sparkle to help attract the fish. I have been using them for quite a few years and have really been doing well with them in Utah for the past three or four years. Got a few converts too.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I make them myself, but you can buy them from several sources online. Or if you wanna try some of the ones I make, I have them for sale on the Utah 4-Sale board. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=1051352;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]LINK[/url]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks TubeDude for the link, I would definitely like to purchase some from you.
[signature]
[#0000FF]PM sent
[/#0000FF]
[signature]