Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing on the full moon
What's everyone's opinion on fishing during the full moon? Thinking of heading to Strawberry or Jordanelle on Sunday buts its a full moon Sunday night.
[signature]
You will most likely catch more fish fishing on a full moon at strawberry or jordanelle that you will on your couch wishing you were fishing[Wink]
[signature]
I agree with BTW....However....If I had a choice between 'days by the full moon' or fishing 'days away from the full moon', I'd definitely pick 'days away from the full moon'....I've kept fishing (and hunting) journals for over 25 years and I've made way too many notes like 'why am I fishing here on a full moon?' or even 'Don't fish anymore on a full moon'....but once in awhile I'll be out there trying again, and once in awhile I'll catch fish...but I don't count on it....Most notably, it has shown negatively to me while ice fishing, and most notably, at Strawberry....Guluk...
[signature]
I don't worry much about moon phases. I've had great days and poor days on all phases of the moon. I just go fishing and try to figure out where they are and what they're eating. There's already too few days in a year for fishing and I won't blow one worrying about the moon. Weather is a whole other issue that I do pay attention to.
[signature]
Fishing the day after a bright moon has proven to be bad for me. I have also seen a lot more feeding happening after dark during a full moon. My guess is that the fish are cruising around waiting for a shadow to go over the moon and then heading up to investigate and/or snack. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you started fishing before sunset on days after a full moon, wonder if they get hungry again after noon some time.
[signature]
I done well in the past night fishing during a full moon. My feelings are that predatiors feed more during a full moon because the prey is easier to see. If I can’t fish at night I prefer fishing in the afternoon.
[signature]
My observations track with ice_sled. Night fishing is best, but there is often a period of activity in the afternoon, opposite the bright moon. Good luck and I'll look forward to your report.
[signature]
I had luck both ways but seems more on the full moon phase. But this moon phase also fits into the weekend if someone decides to go. You can check the lunar tables as the one I'm sharing in the pics. The 1st one is today with a break down event, 2nd one is a weekly event.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I've said it before...the best time to go fishing is whenever you can. But there are a whole lot of factors than can influence your success. Yes, fishing at night during a full moon can be productive...at the right time of year...during favorable weather conditions...when water temps and clarity are ideal, etc.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I personally have done well fishing at night during warmer summer months...when fish are less active during daylight hours because of overly warm water and greater boating activity. During cooler times of the year the fish are likely to be more active later in the day...before dark...because that is when the water is warmer after a sunny day.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]And I have had plenty of trips where I "overthunk"
things and unknown factors made a lousy trip when I was expecting much better. That's fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
In my experience with stillwater trout, days of a full moon produce a very intense, but fleeting, bite at first light... then a second period of "jumping in the boat" around noon to 2:00p. The hours in between, and after, can be pretty tough.

Reading about this a lot lately and it seems to affect trout more-so than warmwater/coolwater species. Some theorize that the lack of a dark period suppresses the nightly plankton activity and the entire food chain drops off. Just a theory, and not mine (not saying that I don't agree with it).
[signature]