Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington North - I'm not sure why I keep going
I fished HN in my tube today from noon until 4:00 using my usual fly tackle. I launched at the boat ramp and fished the middle portion of the reservoir.

I used a fast sinking line (#8) and size 6 & 8 bead head soft hackle flies in tan/green/pearl and olive/pearl. I picked up a bunch of baby largemouth 5" - 10", two rainbows, 18" - 19", and one 17" wiper (finely). Most of the fish were hooked in water 10' - 18' deep and near the bottom.

The water temperature was 63-65 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 5'. The reservoir level is starting to rise and is up to 44% full now.

The weather was not the best with the wind blowing the whole time I was there but at least I managed to break my wiper less streak.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yay team! A wiper. And a couple of nice bows too. I wouldn't exactly call that a busted trip. But, if you insist on joining masochists anonymous I hear they have a great 12 cast program.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Would you believe that this is the first year since I moved back to Utah in 2004 that I have not caught a wiper. And that is after 13 trips to Willard. Maybe I have the unlucky number 13 out of the way now and I too can catch one on my next trip.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
There are probably numerous reasons you keep going back. Non the less you probably had a good time and you will most likely return. I sometimes ask myself when I go out. Keep it up and it is fun to catch wipers on a fly, have caught several at Willard a few years back.
Well done!
[signature]
I have an idea to help your misery. I sent you a PM.

Mike
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Would you believe that this is the first year since I moved back to Utah in 2004 that I have not caught a wiper. And that is after 13 trips to Willard. Maybe I have the unlucky number 13 out of the way now and I too can catch one on my next trip.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement, Pat.

This was my 12th trip to HN this year and only my fourth wiper and the first one since May.

Don't feel bad about the wiper drought at Willard. I understand that their numbers along with the walleye are way down. It sounds like the catfishing has made up for the slow wiper action.

Keep on keeping on.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Oh yeah, the kitties provide enough tugs to lessen the whining and complaining about the shortage of other species. But the memories of the former days of wiper glory still cause a pang of remorse.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I can remember days (without meds) when my tube was in the middle of wide open wiper boils...with fish bouncing off my legs and tube. On those occasions all I had to do was lower a lure into the water beside my tube and I was instantly bendo. At least I think I can remember that. Sometimes it's harder than others.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote fishgiver]There are probably numerous reasons you keep going back. Non the less you probably had a good time and you will most likely return. I sometimes ask myself when I go out. Keep it up and it is fun to catch wipers on a fly, have caught several at Willard a few years back.
Well done![/quote]

Thanks.

Your right, I did have a good time and I'll keep going back.

It's the optimist in me.[Wink]
[signature]
Because it's fun!!![Wink]
[signature]
Man, when I moved here from DC I was STOKED about Willard and the wiper fishery. To say I was over the moon when I caught two on fly in my first hour or ever doing it would be an understatement. Haven't touched one since that first trip in mid-April despite a dozen return trips to WB during "prime time". Sad to hear it's a thing of the past...seemed like a really cool thing y'all had going on with boils and big fish. Hopefully Jordanelle and East Canyon can pick up the slack in the coming years.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Welcome to the forum. Don't give up on Willard yet. I haven't. But it is currently in a down mode, due to some problems with plantings and recruitment. When DWR gets it dialed in right again we should see some good action within a year or two. The wipers grow fast and it doesn't take long for them to become rod bending size.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In the meantime, there have been wipers introduced to several new waters and we have positive expectations of being able to catch them in several spots instead of just at Willard.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]