Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo Harbor 9/22
I fished Provo Harbor again Saturday morning, and, surprise!, I caught one fish, a 24-25" channel on a baby white bass around sunrise. Nuff said.

When I got there at 7:00 a nice young man was catching white bass casting from the middle dock. He said he was keeping the little ones for catfish bait. I had a sneaking suspicion about who he was, and as the conversation progressed it came out that he was the guy that had caught the 31.5"er the week before, Eball_111. He took off down the dike before I could take his picture, so no attachments. A minute after he left I caught my lone fish.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

At least you got to go fishing. I went to a wedding reception in Southern Utah and then Saturday night I learned about kidney stones. Memorable weekend, but I'm glad they aren't all like that[Wink]
[signature]
Having had kidney stones a few times and a wedding recently, I'm not sure which one is more painful[:/].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

It was good to meet you Saturday morning, catchinon. Glad to hear you at least got one decent cat for the day. My morning was a little weird. After catching a few white bass, I headed down near the end of the dike again and set one pole out with shrimp and one out with white bass. In less than 5 minutes I had a hit on the shrimp and brought in a small bullhead (mudcat). I baited up and cast out again and for the next 20 or so minutes I would get a bullhead within the first couple minutes my bait hit the water. In total, I caught 6 or 7 of them in a 20 minute period and then the school left and never had my bait touched by another one all morning. Not to long after the mudcat action, I caught a decent channel cat (roughly 22-23") on the shrimp and about 20 minutes after that I caught a solid 27" channel again on the shrimp. I landed that one around 8:00 and after that the bite completely stopped. I tried a couple different spots along the dike until 10:00 for no more bites. With all the action in the first hour I thought they might really be biting but once it hit 8:00 it completely died.

On a side note, once again all my fish came on shrimp. I only had one bite on the white bass and it didn't get hooked. I know a lot of guys swear by wb as the best cat bait but I continue to have very little or no success when using them. Maybe I'm using/rigging them wrong? Either way it's always a good morning to spend a few hours on the lake
[signature]
"I know a lot of guys swear by wb as the best cat bait but I continue to have very little or no success when using them. Maybe I'm using/rigging them wrong?"

[#0000FF]Allow me to extend my welcome to our board. I have enjoyed your contributions so far, and look forward to more in the future.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I usually go with at least three or four kinds of bait on Utah Lake. Most days it does not make a lot of difference, as long as you present it where the fish are. You can't catch 'em where they ain't...and they do move around at different times of the day.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]When the baby white bass are plentiful, there are not many fish that won't munch them. But there are some things you can do to increase your odds. The first thing I do is scale them. Next, I use a sharp knife to score the sides a couple of three times...to help release more scent in the water. And sometimes I find I do better by fishing only a half whitie at a time...heads or tails (see attached pics). If you are fishing a larger bait...for larger fish...you might want to rig a double hook rig.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have had days when white bass was all I could catch fish on. Other days it might be carp meat, chub minnows or something else. It has been years since I used shrimp...but I know it is a good bait. I just usually do better with items from the local food chain.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]