Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Kokanee
Entered the Rock Cliff side and there were signs indicating viewing opportunities for red kokanee (I assumed spawning in the river). I followed the signs out past the Nature Center. Got to the Bridge over the river. Didn't see one Kokanee!

I assume spawning is already past, so just missed it. that's ok. But I'm amazed that there are Kokanee mature enough to spawn already. I thought they started the program only a few years ago.

What was the largest Kokanee anyone caught at Jordanelle this year? Did they plant near mature Kokes?

Thanks for any info.
[signature]
I read on their state park site that they cancelled the Kokanee viewing day on Sept 15 due to “handfuls” of red fish showed up instead of “hundreds”. So I guess a few made it, just not what they expected.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Interesting that there were at least some spawning.
[signature]
[quote Crimson]Entered the Rock Cliff side and there were signs indicating viewing opportunities for red kokanee (I assumed spawning in the river). I followed the signs out past the Nature Center. Got to the Bridge over the river. Didn't see one Kokanee!

I assume spawning is already past, so just missed it. that's ok. But I'm amazed that there are Kokanee mature enough to spawn already. I thought they started the program only a few years ago.

What was the largest Kokanee anyone caught at Jordanelle this year? Did they plant near mature Kokes?

Thanks for any info.[/quote]

There were some caught in the 16-17 inch range this year.
[signature]
the average koke only lives 3 years with some living to the ripe old age of 6 ,the ones that make it longer are the bigger of the species. it may take some time before a naturally sustaining population comes along
[signature]
It makes you wonder just how many have made it. With all the different species that they have planted in the past couple of years especially Tiger Muskies in 2016. They planted 8512 @ 4.55 inches so I would think they should be pretty good sized with a big appetite. All the kokes they plant are less than 3 inches. I know there hasn't been a lot or reports of kokes being caught.
[signature]
Thanks for the info from fish hntr and mtncat1. Judging from the information there should be a chance to catch some decent jokes next year.
[signature]
Kokes of course. My kindle keeps changing my words.
[signature]