Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach 2-tilla 9-27-18
[#0000ff]BLK and I originally planned a last boating trip together for today. But after braving the skinny water last Tuesday he wimped out of taking the boat any more and we made alternate arrangements. I in my tube and he in his yak. All went well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched off the rocks at Lincoln Beach sometime after 7 am. Air temp 32. TDC. Water temp 61, warming to 63 by noon. Water also started out a bit murky from some wind but greened up (not all from algae) later in the morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Main objective for both of us was getting one or two cats that would bump our scores. So we mostly fished bigger baits and not much else. And we both caught a few "decent" cats. All were feisty in the water that was still in their comfort zone.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm guessing we both caught close to the same number of cats. I think my count was about 10. Most were "cookie cutter" 22 and 23 inchers. A couple of 2 footers and a 25 incher. My biggest was a 27 inch reesty mama cat that kicked my behind and took me around and around several times. BLK caught one an inch bigger. Yay for the yakker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I caught most of my fish on large whole chubs. Did pick up a couple on baby white bass. I know BLK got his biggest on a white bass head but not sure what all he used otherwise.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The fish were all in at least 5-6 feet of water. Some were out deeper. BLK went out further than I did and he did score a couple in the deeper water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Weather was great...except for the sub-arctic conditions at sunrise. Glad I had my gloves. The breezes of Utah Lake never did get serious. Nothing more than a light ripple at any time...although it came in from all points of the compass at one time or another.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Always good to share the water with my mentor, BLK. He has taught me everything I know about fishing for catfish. Took him about 10 minutes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, I don't think I want to follow his example with PFDs. He accidentally tossed his auto inflate model in the water and of course it deployed. Gonna cost a few bucks for a recharge kit. Tee hee.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
A fine day indeed! Cold start but as soon as the sun came up it melted the ice so it was time to shed my first coat. PFD just touched the water and boom! she went off. Scared the bejeepers out of me, I thought a monster had me for sure. Easy to fix with a new $26 cylinder.[:/]

I agree we both probably caught about 10 or so fish. We did not keep an accurate count so I can say I caught one more than TD and I caught the biggest fish with my 28 incher, which was probably closer to 29. Rare day when I can keep up with TD in numbers and even better when I can embarrass him by catching the biggest fish.

Good trip with good company.
[signature]
Sounds like a really good fall morning. Thanks for the report and the pictures. It gets me excited to go again. I might get out Saturday. I know its a weekend, but at least the power squadron is mostly dormant.

It sound like you found only cats on this trip, even though you show a couple of rods rigged for scalier crittters. Did you find anything else?

Along the same lines, I haven't seen a mudder since the first part of august. I'm not complaining, just perpuzzeled.
[signature]
Glad you got out in the yak, but it doesn't look as stable as your normal ride[Wink] Does it take some getting used to not to tip it over when your fighting a big cat?

The big ones are still out there!
[signature]
I forgot to tell you, I use an auto inflating PFD and a coulple of years ago I was in a float tube (don't tell TD) and I bent down to net a fish and bam! I was wedged in my donut by the PFD.

I just tell everyone that your supposed to replace the disc and cartridge every 3 years and that is how I get rid of the old one[Wink]
[signature]
It sound like you found only cats on this trip, even though you show a couple of rods rigged for scalier crittters. Did you find anything else?

Along the same lines, I haven't seen a mudder since the first part of august. I'm not complaining, just perpuzzeled.

[#0000FF]As I mentioned, the main thrust was to score some large cats. But I did take a rod rigged with plastics, just in case. However, with the murkier water and the total lack of non-cat type marks on sonar I felt it would be a waste of time to throw the plastic. So I kept two bait rods out and the plastic rigged rod stayed in the holder. I may hit it again about mid October gearing mainly for walleyes and white bass. But I will time my trip for a day after two or three calm ones to stabilize and clear the water a bit. Much better for washing lures.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Bullheads come and go...and move around a lot. But there are always plenty in Utah Lake. Like the other species, their movements and hangouts are dictated by food availabilty and water temps. In this transition period of dropping temps you will find more mudders in shallow water...where there are warmer temps later in the day...and the chance for some small food items seeking the same warmth.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That being said, as waters cool further the bullies will move out into deeper water and they continue to be active even after the channel cats have put on their thermies and are slow to bite. Bullheads bite well even under the ice...if you can find them. They are some of the first to become active in the spring and stay active late in the fall. If you find them they will munch.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I had a couple of pop and drop type bites yesterday that acted suspiciously like bullheads. They can be tough to hook when using larger baits because they just chomp around the edges. And their bites may register on the rod but the fish usually don't "gulp and go" like channel cats.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pisco-- It was a good and fun day even if we did not find that really big one we were looking for. As TD said, we were primarily loaded for biggun's with big baits and bigger hooks. Big baits tend to deter the mudders but they will occasionally pick up a bait and think they can swallow it. I have not caught a mudder all summer, and, like you I don't miss them. Nuisances, just like the wb can be at times.

My best bait for bigger cats is a frozen wb head. As the warmer lake water thaws the head the concentrated blood oozes out and leave a nice trail for the cats to follow. I like to let them run a ways with it cuz sometimes they will grab and run without gulping... give 'em a little free spool and they will usually take it deeper for a sure hook set.

I like the yak. It is a Cabela's Advance Angler 120. Since Bass Pro has consumed Cabelas they have discontinued the model. Picked mine up for $799 rather than the listed price of $999; very stable at 35 inches wide and the seat is very comfy. Supposed to be a "stand up" yak but not for this clumsy dude. I added a Lowrance finder and a few other goodies -- my g-sons refer to it as my houseboat.

Sad deal on my PFD... the second accidental explosion for me. I tried to re-charge last night but couldn't do it; I burned up two cylinders ($50+) trying so gave up and just got another one out of my boat.

I went out in my yak again today since TD and I had good success yesterday. Fickle Fish! I was loaded with heavy duty baits and ready to give it another good shot before the weather front comes in. I fished hard for three hours and caught only one cat????? Hate to admit it but maybe, just maybe, TD brings good luck with him when he comes down this way... nah, couldn't be that.

Ennyhow, I'm done for a few days, stormy weather coming and I have a big four day coyote eradication trip planned for next week.

I hope you find the time and the weather to get back out again. Still plenty of time to find a big one or two.

BLK
[signature]
So TD, looking through your pics it appears one of your kitties has nodules on one of the barbles. Was that true or did it have leftovers from your offering on it ?? Glad some of us are getting out. The boss has me moving again and I am stuck on shore till the end of Oct. Keep up the good work !!!
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=134108"]LIINK TO PIC[/url]

[#0000FF]If this is the pic, the "nodules" are chub sushi remnants...after a thorough mastication.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Have fun with the move. Glad it's you and not me.[/#0000FF]
[signature]