Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Diego Overnight advice
Hi
Is anyone on this thread have experience with yellowfin tuna?
Three of us are going out for our first overnight tuna trip. I am looking at which boat to book right now and I am having a hard time deciding between the Tribute with Seaforth or the Old Glory out of H and M Landing.
We are going to try for one leaving on a Wednesday Oct 17 or the Thursday Oct 18. I am not sure which night is better and maybe less anglers and not as crowded.

From the Youtube videos it looks like a lot of flylining with live bait for yellowfin and skipjack. Which size hook would you recommend. 4/0 or 5/0 live bait hook with the ring? I have the largest Cabelas Salt Striker reel that I use for sturgeon and it currently has 80lb braid. I was planning on using a 4 ft flourocarbon leader at 40 lbs. Would that work or should I load up that reel with all new line?

Should I buy any lures to try out? I have also posted for advice on the California BigFishTackle page. Thanks for the help. Jay
[signature]
Every time I go to a new place whether I am using a guide or not I always call the local charters/guides and talk to them. Most of them are pretty nice and will give you lot's of information if you just ask.
I'm not saying you won't get good advice from here but there's a lot of value asking the guys that do it for a living.
Have fun!
[signature]
Most of those guide services will post yesterdays catch. You should ask them what they provide and recommend. Even look for references.
That's a costly trip so check them out and compare with several other services.
The trip I took would not let us use braided lines.
[signature]
We have done daveys locker a few times. It was fun and wouldnt change any of my experiences but I have learned I'd rather pay more and not have as many people for what its worth.
[signature]
I would go with H &M. Bring various size hooks. No telling what size bait you will get on any given day.

If the fish are 15 lbs or less fish 20 lb floro line, 20 to 30 lb fish use 30 lb floro, and so forth.

Over night trips can be tuff. Always stand right by the bait tank with your hook in hand, and eye on a good bait. Pen on a bait and be the first one in the water at every stop.

Don’t be a jerk but be agessive.
[signature]
I think Seaforth is the best operation down there and the Tribute is a class act. Call Seaforth and they will be glad to give you info on what equipment is the best.
[signature]
I always go out of Point Loma on the new lo-an have done great there every time so far but I go on the day and a half trip you get more fishing time Markus is the owner he finds fish. I attached a few pics.
[signature]
Wow how many people caught that many fish? What month were you fishing? Thanks for sharing looks like it's worth the money. Can you catch two days limit?
[signature]
there was 28 people on board September and October are good times to go.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the input. I think the bigfish page is pretty dead in CA. I did not get one reply there. I have been studying the fish counts from all the different companies the last month and some days its the Tribute that catches the most and then some days its Old Glory. The Produce had a good trip yesterday with just 11 anglers and close to their limits. That would sure be a nice trip. I did take a look at New Lo ann with Point Loma and one of the guys with us is older and just doesn't really want to sleep in the bunk for 2 nights. One thing I noticed is that some of the counts for the overnight were better than the counts for the 1.5 day. I guess that evening bite is not as consistent sometimes and then there are trips where they really get into them before dark. There just is not much consistency and I guess that is fishing for you.

I have been emailing back and forth with Seaforth and H and M and getting info on tackle and what to bring. There still a ton of room on both boats for their midweek overnights but I am going to go ahead and book Old Glory for this time and if we like the experience then we will look at some multiday trips for next time. Maybe one day try for the bluefin.

Thanks again everyone for the help and advice.
[signature]
I would make sure you are able to cast the bait caster reel you are referencing. If you are unable to cast, it will be tough. Casting the fly-lined bait takes touch. More of a lob cast. Need to make sure you can cast and still keep your bait on the hook. Great times down there right now. Both boats are great. I don't think you can make a bad choice with either.
If you haven’t been to 976 tuna websites I would recommend it
[signature]
I fished the "EL CAPITAN" on friday and the yellowfin were all on the small side 15-20lbs. The hooks I was using I believe were either a 1 or 2 size octupus hook, the bait was anchovie sized sardines. I had all my reels spooled with 30lb mono and never had a bite, I put a 25lb floro leader and was able to put 2 tuna on the boat. All the tuna was put on the boat with 20lb tsest or less, why I put rhe smallest leader I had. We were fishing in Mexican waters due west of the coronado islands.
[signature]
Go to h and m book with old glory, tell Capt Kley Williams. J from Utah sent you before you get there. You will get a primo spot on his boat.
[signature]
So we were able to book Old Glory for next Wednesday night. How do I contact Capt Williams? I will for sure let him know that J from Utah sent us. Is it the corner on the back of the boat that is the best spot I am going to bring two different set ups. I have a spinning reel with 20lb pline flourocarbon and then I have my SB80 Salt Striker baitfeeder Spinning reel but it is currently wound with a high quality 80lb braid. I bought some seaguard 40lb flourocarbon to use for a 4 foot leader. My heavy rod is only 6.5 ft long and is a one piece reallly nice penn rod but I think my Eagle Claw 10 ft medium heavy casting rod might be better for casting. I ended up getting those real nice gamakatsu ringed live bait hooks in 3/0,4/0 and 5/0.

I have a nice saltwater conventional Daiwa Saltist 50 reel but I am a rookie at casting it. So I probably will not bring it. It was fun to use for bottom fishing.

The catch report for last night was incredible with 60 yellowtail, 1 dorado, 85 skipjack and 86 yellowfin with the 24 anglers. I am so excited. Thank you for all of your help.
[signature]
My reel is a spinning rod and I am pretty comfortable casting it. I have used it to lob morts far out into the deep pools of the snake river from shore with my 13 foot eagle claw while going for sturgeon.
I have some heavy rods at 6.5, 7.5 and 10. I think I will bring the 10 for further casting. And a 7.5 for back up. thanks for your help
[signature]
Check Your PM
[signature]
With 24 anglers on board there wont be much room for casting. The fish they are getting into are all on the smaller size 10 -20 lbs. Good luck getting something to bite on any line over 25lb test and braid has never worked for me. 2/0 hook would be the biggest I would use if there are nice sized sardines on board otherwise size down. Check with the landing before you get on board and they will set you straight on what tackle you will need. That Penn rod will be great for what they are catching.
[signature]
Just curious how your trip went ?
[signature]