Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass ?
I'm heading out saturday to fish for bass, I have never fished for them any help on what to use and do would be great. thanks for any info
[signature]
Through the ice or open water? If fishing open, I'd wait a while, its too much work in the winter, the fishes metabolism is really slow, so they don't eat much, Give it a month or two, or wait till summer, and then head to flaming gorge, you can catch as many smallies as you'd like there. If you are fishing through the ice, jigs will probably do the trick. A mini jig tipped with a waxie or piece of crawler is the way to go, Maybe put a kastmaster on then a foot of leader and follow it up with an ice fly or small jig. Good luck, I don't think I'm heading for bass for atleast another month. Your bound to find someone that knows how to bass fish on this board. Where you headin' anyway?

Anthony
[signature]
while i am far from a expert bass fisherman drop me a line about the end of april and i'll take you to utah lake and show you somethings and areas that worked for me last year
[signature]
If you really need to fish for bass, go out west to Horse shoe in Skull Valley, or out to Blue lakes past wendover. Also, if it is open(not to sure) Stansburry at the East end in the hot springs would be Excellent right now for Big Bass, Blues, and slab Crappie. My ex caught a 7 lb. LM out of Horse shoe earlier this year, and her dad broke off about a 9 lb. LM in Blue lakes. The bait to use to catch LOTS of Big, bruser bass is fresh minnows, the fresher the better. I'm kind of an expert at the hot springs out thata way, shot me a PM and I can tell you all you need to know. I almost forgot to mention one other thing- a few years ago, before they closed Stansburry down, I caught a Bass outa there that was 1 ounce under state record.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]I have been to Blue lake before, caught some nice bass. Never heard of Horse Shoe, where is it, how big is it, whats the fishing like?[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Troutboy[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey ya weenie, who you goin' fishing with?
[signature]
Its in skull valley, south on that road just a couple of miles. Its not really that big. Its good fishing for nice big bassies with minnows right under a bobber in the deepest hole to the south. Also, if you go down the creek you can get some monsters.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Just looking on a map and saw Rock Bottom lake and Kanaka lake about 2 miles south of Horseshoe springs. Do you know anything about them?

Thanks Troutboy[/size][/font]
[signature]
OK I found Skull Valley and horeshoe springs at Topozone.com. It looks about 50 miles to the springs. but there are like 5 along the road are they marked? And are they off Indian lands. Are they open to the public? Are they frozen?
[signature]
Rock Bottom is excellent for smaller bass with minnows. As far as I know Kanaka was pretty much wiped out 5 years ago(my dad, 2 uncles and grandpa all kept limits-big mistake[Sad]). Rockbottom is one of my favorite places to fish for bass. I usually use small minnows on a strait hook and sight fish them.
[signature]
2 of them have never had any fish. Kanaka is pretty much dead, Rock bottom is good for smaller bass. I'm pretty sure all of them are public. If not, the ranch just up the road would probly let you on. Just DO NOT mention names. My grandpa kind of screwed them a few years ago, and now they really hate him. They all stay open year round. If you need fresh minnows, which them bass really love, go to the pond by the freeway. Its called timpie. Put on a couple of small hooks, and cast out off of the cliff. You can usually get tons of minnows that way.
[signature]
Hey Gary, Ya bonehead, check your PM-private messages-!!!
[signature]
How big are these springs, and how deep? What aboiut putting a float tube on one? How far from the road?
[signature]
FFM, blue lake is big enough that you could put a float tube on it. It's a pretty deep lake, it's deep enough that scuba divers like to dive there. I actually went fishing out there on president's day with my float tube . My cousin and I caught about 15 bass in about 3 hours. We caught our fish on a homemade plastic I call a Gun & Martin It's just like a senko, but I can make the colors that I like. We didn't catch anything with any size though about an avg. of 12 inches.
Horseshoe springs is so small that you wouldn't want to put a tube on it. Probably 10 feet at the deepest.
[signature]
My uncle has fished them with a tube. I'm not sure how he does, cause I'm not really close ot him. Horse Shoe gets to be a good 18' in the southern most part, according to Jake. Rock bottom isn't alot smaller than horse shoe, and both are about 1/4 the size of Blue lakes. Out at blue lakes, I wouldn't bother fishing from a tube. There are certain ways to get the big boys. If you want, I can PM you the details. Some of them spots never get fished, and I don't particularly want a few of them guests that are always crusin around here to fish them. I fish for big fish, though, by sight fishing. The big females are always spawning in all 3 locations. At rock bottom, you can just fish with 6 Lb. line and catch all the 2-3lb bass you want. At Horse Shoe, the closest to the middle that you can get the better. At blue lakes, watch the fish. Be stealthy. Fish with flourocarbon lines, and put it right in front of them. Usually if you want to keep the bass, its best to flip the bail and let them run for 5 seconds before setting the hook. Also, a dead minnow with no weight is always a sure fire way to catch bass away from shore. ALWAYS USE MINNOWS!!!!!!!! Them big females ain't fooled by plastics. That spinner fish I caught back in January was one of the first ever on artificials in any of them lakes. Horse shoe is maybe 500 feet from the road. Rock bottom you can drive right up on. Blue lakes is 1/8 of a mile walk to the water, unless you fish the blue gill ponds.
[signature]