Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southeast Idaho walleye?
Me and my wife just moved to northern Utah and I got ice fishing on my mind especially for walleye. My question is what is any lakes are good fishing for walleye perch our really anything but trout that I can go scout before the ice comes. If you want to PM me that's fine but really anything helps.
[signature]
Welcome to the area!

I believe the only three lakes/reservoirs in Idaho that have have fishable walleye populations are Oneida (near Preston), Oakley (near Burley) and Salmon Falls (near Twin Falls). I have only fished each of these a handful of times, never through the ice though.

good luck,

Paul
[signature]
Welcome to BFT... and the northern Utah area... One other lake on the other side of the border is Willard Bay and then Starvation, but most of us in Utah have a tough time catching Walleye through the ice, it's tough pickings and slow since we can't use live minnows and most of the lakes are relatively shallow. Hope you can show us how to do it...

One thing to watch on Oneida is it has the Bear River running through it, and the current can make the ice scary at times... just be careful on that one and don't ever trust it completely... Good luck... J
[signature]
Several small lakes around Preston are plumb full of bluegill, crappie, bass and perch. It's where I spend my winters. PM me and I will give you any intel that I have.
[signature]
Montpelier Reservoir has an over load of perch. Most have been 5 to 8 inches when I have fished it in the past. Please come and take some! :-)
[signature]
With introduction of a fast growing predetor in Montpelier the perch population shrinking but the avg size has increased over past couple years. Az for walleye in south east Idaho you habe onieda reservoir and the river that feeds it.
[signature]
I've noticed the perch are growing a bit bigger. What predator is in there now?

Mike
[signature]
I think they put some Tiger trout in there.
[signature]
If you plan to ice fish Oneida, be careful. Went to try for walleye 20 years ago around mid January on a cold year. Walked out 100 yards from the boat dock at the face of the dam. Drilled through 14" of ice and no water in the hole as the auger punched through. Water was a good two feet below the ice. Got the hell off and have never been back. Good luck!
[signature]
Deer Creek near Heber has a fair population of walleye, perch, bass, and trout. [fishon]
[signature]
Ditto on the " no water " deal. Had that happen to me and haven't gone back.
[signature]
Ririe has a good perch fishing if the lake freezes over. Some years the lake ice is not safe to get on.

We fished one year after New Years with the boat. Put up the curtains, turned the heater on high and got to limits of kokanee.

[fishon][fishon]
[signature]