Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Sept 8
Finally got around to posting a fishing report for our trip to Deer Creek. We got there a little after sun up and got the boat launched and started trolling along the hill outside Wallsburg bay. Started with some of my favorite crank/trolling baits. Nothing. As we passed people they asked how were were doing. It was obvious they were not doing well either. Continued along the south up to the island changing baits on the way. Fish were showing on the finder, but nothing wanted to come play.

Took us an hour or so to make our way up to Charleston, where we finally found some action among the wolf packs of small mouth bass. We continued to troll by making a pass through the middle and heading over along the North shore and making loops like that.

We ended up with several nice small mouth, a crappie, a yellow perch, a nice rainbow and of all things a kokanee salmon! Where did that come from? I don't see anything in the stocking reports. Did it come down from Jordanelle?

It was a beautiful day. We did avoid most of the power squadron. But they were out in mass. Left when the wind came up and the kite boarder came out.

Here is a photo.

We invited the fish home for a nice fish fry.

Need to get up there again now that it is getting cooler.

Matthew
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pic, glad you found some willing fish. I'd say that koke came from Jordanelle, not sure anywhere else up stream has them.
[signature]
That photo is a Rainbow, no forked tail.
[signature]
Good point but since the OP said he caught a nice rainbow and that pic wasn't titled, I figured that was just the bow he caught.
[signature]
I am sorry to disagree with you. That is NOT a rainbow trout, it is a Kokanee Salmon. look closely. I commercial fished for salmon in Alaska for 20 years and I can tell the difference between all species of salmon by the tail alone. This was definitely a Kokanee.

Several years ago, I even caught a kokanee is Willard Bay! It must have came down from Electric Lake?
[signature]
I caught a rainbow this year that looked a lot like a kokanee I had never seen anything like it I have a picture but cant find it. it went back in the water.
any way
Kokanee salmon*
(Anglers may not possess
kokanee salmon from Sept. 10
through Nov. 30.) this is hard because kokanee don't know the rules.
and silver kokes don't Spawn this time of year

in the summer at deer creek I don't think kokanee would survive the water is not cold enough.
[signature]