Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield - No chubs hurt on this trip
I went to Scofield today to help with the fall gillnetting. I got there about 8:45 and the biologists had already pulled the first net. They set five nets the day before and then remove them the next day. There was some good news with a wiper showing up in a net that was a two year old fish. There was some concern about wipers being able to over winter at Scofield's elevation. There were also some Tiger Muskie that are approaching 30". There were not many large tiger trout cutthroats or rainbows in the nets. There were still plenty of chubs along with the return of a good number of crawdads. Last fall there were hardly any crawdads in the nets, which was okay because they are a pain to remove from the nets.

After all the fish were removed from the nets I headed out to try fishing since I hadn't fished there since May 10th. I was going to launch my tube on the southeast side but the wind was coming from the northwest so I went over to the WIA area on the west side.

I launched about noon and fished until about 3:00 picking up about 15% rainbows, between 12" - 14" and 85% cutthroats, between 12" - 15". The good news, no chubs. Evidently the water temperatures are down enough to slow them down.

I used a medium sinking line (#3) with a size 8 bead head black/copper crystal bugger, fished in 6' - 10' of water.

The reservoir level is 35% and dropping. I don't know why the water users are still pulling water out this time of year for irrigation when we received over 2" of rain in the Price area the last three days and the forecast of more to come.

The water temperature was 53-54 degrees. The visibility in the water is only about 3' because of algae in the water column.

I didn't see another angler, just a grundle of hunters driving around.

There was a little white stuff on the mountain tops in the morning so if you have any high mountain streams or lakes that you want to fish, you better get after it.[Wink]
[signature]
35% is better than it has been some years going into the winter months.
[signature]
[quote SBW]35% is better than it has been some years going into the winter months.[/quote]

The level was much better last year just because of the good snowpack the year before and the fact that the water users shut the water off early because of some work to be done on the canal.

Your right about the previous years, the level was a lot lower going into winter.
[signature]