Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windy Willard, 10/7
If there ever was a day to get skunked at Willard, it had to be today. Cold 10 MPH wind coming out of the NNE and intermittent rain showers. Still, I loaded up the boat and the dog this morning and headed to the north marina. The main lake was rough with small whitecaps so I decided to drift with the wind inside of the marina. A couple hours turned up a couple of pretty good catfish. Both were caught dragging a blue flig tipped with a piece of perch behind me. Guess I'll have to wait for another day for a skunk.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good on ya. Just shows to go ya...or whatever. The words "flig" and "skunk" just don't go together in the same report.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]What kinda depth were you seeing inside the marina? I have done well on perch and crappies inside when it cools off in years past. Did you see any "interesting" marks on sonar?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Looks like next Friday might be a possible tube day. You good widdat?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD, kitties were in about 10 FOW. I'm a believer in your fligs. I don't think I've had a skunk when using them. Friday would be good. Keep me informed.
[signature]
How do you rig your line when you fishing with the fligs? I know you put some sort of sinker on the line but is it a slip sinker with a swivel a couple feet above or something else?
[signature]
Also, are you anchored, drifting or slow trolling the fligs? Sorry, I have just noticed lots of people catching catfish this way and I would like to learn how.
[signature]
[#0000ff]I'm sure Larry won't mind if I chime in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The most popular way to fish fligs is with a sliding sinker above a swivel...and then 12 to 16" of leader to the flig. But you can also fish them dropshot style, with a sinker on the end of your line and a short dropper at the desired depth. I even rig a double dropshot...at 18" and 36" above the sinker...when fishing two small fligs for perch, crappies, trout or other smaller suspending fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can fish fligs by casting from shore and letting them sit...like fishing floating bait for trout. But most of us like to keep 'em moving. You can drift with the breeze or move along about .5 mph or so. As the sinker moves across the bottom it drags and creates a wiggle and jiggle effect with the fligs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I am in my float tube I usually have one rod dragging a flig while pitching cranks or plastics with the other. I keep the line to the sinker and flig fairly short...about a 45 degree angle down from the tube. When a fish hits there is usually no "nibble". One second the rod is straight, the next it is bent down with line screaming off the drag. And there is a very high ratio of hits to hookups. Fun stuff.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a writeup with diagrams.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you for the excellent write-up about fligs! I've got to find some. Do you sell any of the ones that you make? I would love to buy a nice assorted starter kit.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I just edited my previous reply and added some ideas on methodology.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Yes, I do sell them. I don't have a big commercial operation but I usually keep a pretty good supply of most of the best colors and sizes. You can find them on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=1051352;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]4-Sale board[/url]...with colors, sizes and pricing. You would be welcome to visit my "playroom" and look over what I have. Once I know where you fish and for what species I can make recommendations. Shoot me a PM if interested and I will give you my address and directions.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
FFN, Make sure you get blue and purple. By far my best colors this fall.
[signature]
Hi TD
I have a few questions about your flig methods from your write up please.
1) Do you personally use Rig "A" "B" or "C" most of the time?
2) Do you usually use 1/4 oz weights or 1/8 oz weights?
3) Do you ever prefer the "hanger shot" over the lead weights?
4) Where do you usually get the Smiley blades for the trolling rig?

Thx
[signature]
[quote Optimizer]Hi TD
I have a few questions about your flig methods from your write up please.
1) Do you personally use Rig "A" "B" or "C" most of the time? [#0000FF]Rig A[/#0000FF]
2) Do you usually use 1/4 oz weights or 1/8 oz weights?
[#0000FF]Mostly 1/4. Smaller in shallow water with small fligs...3/8 in deeper water and/or with bigger fligs.[/#0000FF]

3) Do you ever prefer the "hanger shot" over the lead weights? [#0000FF]Over rocky or weedy bottom they avoid a lot of snags.[/#0000FF]
4) Where do you usually get the Smiley blades for the trolling rig? [#0000FF]Look for Mack's Smile Blade online. Here is a [url "https://www.fishusa.com/product/Macks-Smile-Blade?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIooShwef73QIVl7rACh0SQglmEAYYAiABEgL3DPD_BwE"]LINK[/url] to one source. I got some at Amazon recently.[/#0000FF]

Thx[/quote]

[#0000FF]The main idea with the fligs is to present the bait or plastic above the bottom...with some attractive color and a bit of wiggle when the sinker is dragged on the bottom. Some days it does not seem to make a lot of difference how you rig or what colors you use. Other days the fish show a decided preference for size, color, bait, length of leader and method of presentation. Just like all fishing. Always good to have at least two or three bait options and to make adjustments to your rig as needed.[/#0000FF]
[signature]