Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One more week.....
in the Catfish Contest. Been a real corker this year, and lots of fun.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Glad you've enjoyed it Forest, we got some real champions out there battling it out for the top... My hats off to them... I made my final attempt yesterday and 22" is the best I could find... was kind of fun when it grabbed ahold and started to pull line... I may make it out next weekend, but got apples to pick and press so not sure I'll get a chance.... Hard to find them active in the 50 degree water of Cutler now days... Hope you get a chance to make it to the banquet... I'm thinking November 15th unless too many can't make it... Later Jeff
[signature]
November 15th sounds good to me. I will mark it on all my calendars and try to convince the wife to not work OT that day. But either way, I plan to be there. Same place as the last couple years?

I'm hoping the weather guessers are right for this weekend. Want to hit Bear River at least once more before contest ends. I know I can't pull out 3 Cats that would have to be 33 inches or more, but any bump even at the last day would be OK with me.
[signature]

Cool
I think we’ll try the same spot. The food is good and they give us that room to use without interruptions. Plus it’s somewhat central for location.

Good luck this weekend! I keep hoping to break 30” but I don’t think it will be this year. Well look forward to seeing you at the banquet. Later Jeff
[signature]

its not over yet! Seen Ice sled still finding 30"ers . Getting really hard up here. get a fish or two one day and go home stinking of skunk the next.

The 15th of Nov same spot works for me Jeff.
It's been a great year lots of Big fish out there.

Has been great seeing you on the river every now and then Forest. Dont know if you Icefish? I do a little not as much as I used to. Getting to hard to pull the sled around and on the hard deck you need to move a lot. When I go it's at Mantua or Willard north marina. If you ice fish hope to bump into you on the lake.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Thanks John, will be great if you can make that.... Not sure but probably be able to crown the king then... I'll have to get the scores updated with ice finding more big cats... Been quite a year, with lots more big fish being recorded on our score boards... Thanks for putting up such great numbers this year... Did you count how many fish you caught over 30" this year? It was an amazing number I'm sure... nice job... See ya in November... J
[signature]
Where is the usual place?

You made my mouth water when you mentioned pressing apples. If you put up a jug of fresh cider I'd sure buy a chance at it.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Oh we've been going to Holy Smoke Barbeque in Layton, they have really good barbequed food and it's kind of a fun place to go... Close to the base so they cater to the military and makes a fun atmosphere and going on the week day helps keep the crowd down so we don't interfere with their regular business too much...

As far as cider is concerned, I've got a short year for apples and will likely not have too much extra cider, but if I do I'll let ya know... It's sort of expensive though... after pressing and pest control, I'm usually into it close to $9 a gallon.. but I sure do love that stuff... Hoping for a good blend this year, but I am short on jon a gold and honey crisp apples so it will be a little different flavor this year.. mostly braeburn and jonathan's this year... I'll let ya know... Later Jeff
[signature]
you got my curiosity up Jeff. So I went back to my photos and my facebook post. as close as I can tell It was 25 Cats 30 and over. There were a lot of 29.5's and 29.75"ers . An amazing year.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I do like a nice sweet cider, but a snappy one is good, too. I sure don't want to horn in your "private reserve" though[Tongue].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Oh my goodness, that's even higher than I figured by about double, what an accomplishment... I know most of your fish were in the 29-30 range, so I'd bet that number would be way higher... What a fun season that has been... You earned them though, lots of time spent in pursuit of the title... I can't believe I can't find just one over 30.... Seems like I've paid enough dues I should find one, going to have to have you teach me what I'm doing wrong... Maybe fishing in the wrong spot.... Congrats and wow!!!!!! Nice job... J
[signature]
I'll let ya know what I end up with, I'm up to seven boxes of apples so far, need 10 to process them and I should have at least that many... So I'll have some cider... Later J
[signature]
Oh, I thought you had an orchard. You need to hold on to what you've got there. BTW, I'm picking up some bait at Sportsman's and I'll check prizes today.
[signature]

I do have a little orchard... Only 13 apple trees, but on a good year that will produce way more than I can use... This year probably not... We usually do cider for the Christmas gift around the ward, but I don't think we'll have enough for that this year... but will likely have around 50 gallons I think... maybe we'll do half gallons this year...

Thanks for checking with Sportsmans, will be good to spread this around so the Logan store doesn't get too over burdened with our contest prizes... They are great to support us though and so make sure you express our appreciation to them... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Quote:Dont know if you Icefish? I do a little not as much as I used to. Getting to hard to pull the sled around and on the hard deck you need to move a lot. When I go it's at Mantua or Willard north marina. If you ice fish hope to bump into you on the lake.

Nope, John, I don't ice fish. I'll fish Willard up till it freezes or the weather gets too rough for the boat. And I'll hit the river in spots where it isn't iced over. But just never got into liking sitting on the ice.

If we don't meet up at the river between now and Nov 15th, I see ya at the dinner.
Been a fun year.
Actually caught 1 medium size cat last Saturday at the place where you passed me when you were leaving. Lost a big carp there too. Got it almost up to my landing net and could see the hook was just thru the skin of its lower lip. But couldn't reach it and it shook once more and tore the hook out.
[signature]

Cool