Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goings on at Lincoln
I have been off in pursuit of the wily coyote for the past few days and really needed a catfish fix. Had a blast, so to speak, with my crew shooting up the coyotes but was anxious to be back home and on the water, as opposed to in the water from our recent floods. Funny how all the emphasis was on flooding in Woodland Hills and Elk Ridge and little ol' Spring Lake took the brunt of it.

Got up early this a.m. cuz I had to unload some sandbags I had on stand-by notice in the back of my truck. Got them unloaded and while loading my kayak I could hear the elk bugling on the mountain behind my house. The fires and floods must have displaced them because there are lots of 'em on the face of the mountain, with some pretty good bulls among them.

Anyhow, got to Lincoln at about 8-ish and it was KOLD; water temp was 50 degrees and warmed to 51 when I left at about 11:00. Fished from my kayak and did okay but nothing helpful score-wise. Water was surprisingly clear considering some of the rough weather we have had. The Benjamin Slough is running very high with chocolate colored water.

Caught about 8 or 10 cats but nothing better than about 24 inches. They were sluggish to bite and seemed to favor carpletes over bwb. Fished mostly 100 yards out from the first spring in five-six fow; marked lots of fish but very few hungry ones. Planning to give it another shot at the B.S. inlet as weather permits.

Ennyhow, good to be back on the water. There is still hope.

BLK
[signature]
[#0000FF]Looks like you guys reduced the coyote population a bit. Anything over 30 inches you could fudge into the catfish contest? Jeff would never know.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I wanted to make it down for a last shot before the end of the game but between the weather and other waters calling my name (stupid) I have just about written Utah Lake off for a few days. Might get down to cast for white bass (hoping for walleye) in a week or so. Will holler on ya when I make plans.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Wow you must call the dogs as good as you do the cats... nice haul.... Surprising that Utah Lake has cooled as much as Cutler... I figured we were colder and that was why my numbers were so low... must just be lack of skill on my part... Surprising how much more sluggish the cooler temps makes the cats fight.... It was like my fish was in slow motion... Still strong, but slow movements... Fun but not like warm summer temps when the cats will really challenge your angling abilities... Well glad you had some fun... Good luck for the final week... Later J
[signature]
You really put the hurt on the yotes !! Is there still a bounty on them ? Know a lot of guys didn't like to collect the bounty as the removal of the ear(s) reduced the value of the pelt. Any decent price on them these days ? What caliber are you using ? By the way, that was a very healthy kitty in the boat, nice going !!
I've had a tough time finding a 30+ cat this year. Years past I have always had at least a couple of 30 inchers by the end of May. I prefer to blame it on bad luck rather than a poor fisherman. I remain undaunted... that 36 incher will come before my days end, I hope.

I've been hunting and trapping coyotes for almost 50 years now. There was a time when money from pelts helped finance my education, now they are not worth skinning. The bounty is still available for coyotes killed in Utah. There will be no bounty claimed on the coyotes we shot last weekend.

I shoot the .22-250 for coyotes but I like the .223 as well.
[signature]