Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach - Great News
[#0000ff]Lincoln Beach lovers who have been around a while may remember the DWR's failed attempt to acquire the land around Lincoln Point for public use. It has been closed to public access for years but is very good fishing and better access would make a lot of us very happy...especially bank tanglers and folks who would like to be able to launch tubes, toons, yaks, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]MERRY CHRISTMAS in October. I had heard there were plans to acquire that land again and the subject was on the agenda for the most recent Utah Lake Commission board meeting. I queried Sam Braegger...Outreach Coordinator for the Commission...asking for additional info. His reply caused me to chortle, guffaw and do gelandersprungs. Here it is.[/#0000ff]

Utah County has recently purchased the private land north of the Lincoln Beach boat harbor. It's parcel 28:001:0004. Visit [url "https://maps.utahcounty.gov/ParcelMap/ParcelMap.html"]https://maps.utahcounty.gov/...elMap/ParcelMap.html[/url] and input that parcel number and you'll see exactly how much land it is. There plan is to develop it as a part of the Lincoln Beach access. They have reached out to the Utah Lake Commission to organize efforts for public input on what should be included there. Ideas such as pavilions, a trail, better beach access, etc. have been kicked around but there isn't anything solid yet. I know vault restrooms, that could be open year round, are a popular suggestion (addressing the needs of ice fishermen and many other recreation enthusiasts). We will be helping to gather that information in the near future, so I'll make sure to include you as a resource in getting the word out.

Sam

[#0000ff]For those who do not want to click on the link provided and look up the parcel info, I have made a screen capture and labeled it for easier understanding.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As a Student and Teacher of Utah Lake, I would ask you if there are any Locations in that plot of land that would provide a deeper water launch site than what we have had in the past? Any shore line that drops into say 4 feet of water today? That would be a nice addition!
[signature]
It is Christmas in October! Thanks for the update.
[signature]
[#0000FF]We of the float tube persuasion have used the rocks around first spring to launch our craft for many seasons...after water levels drop too low to use the boat ramp. There are quite few spots there that allow safe launching but quickly drop into 4-5 feet of water within a few feet of shore. If Utah County wants to put in an all year launch spot for small craft that would be the area to look at.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]They might also look at the "L". This was the "safe harbor" in the olden days...when boats from Provo would come across the lake for the hot springs pools and dancing pavilion at the resorts at Lincoln Beach. It included two small launch ramps for boats that wanted to launch here for fishing or for cruising the lake. (see pic). With a bit of ramp improvement and maybe some light dredging the L could once again become a popular place.

[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Actually, there was a brief window about 2007 or so when the gates around the area were open and we could drive down to the lake. I often launched my tube at the L...as in the attached pic. But it did get a bit shallow for boats during low water, although once in the main lake it deepened quickly.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
whoo hooo, I hope it involves digging out the harbor.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
[#0000FF]Not likely. Utah County makes a lot of money selling tickets to folks who want to watch boaters get stuck in the mud...or who have to call a tow truck to get their boat trailers out over that dropoff at the end of the launch ramp. Dredging the boat channel and filling in the dropoff would shut off a good source of revenue. After all, unlike the state parks, Utah County does not charge an access or launch fee. They gotta make money somewhere.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That is great news!
[signature]
Great news indeed! But, will it come to fruition within our life times. Govment is not known for its alacrity and if the Army Corp of Engineers is involved we are probably looking at years before work begins. There is a lot of potential in that area and I am glad to see the Commission moving forward.

I'm with MSM, start by improving the present launch channel (today?) so there is access when the water levels drop as they are now.

Thanks for some good news on a dreary day Pat.
[signature]
I'ma thinkin that there might at least be a iron guard if they make it all nice and stuff, at least the vault toilet would be great, it can get rough sometimes before the bathrooms are unlocked for some.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
As usual, great job with the map. Coupla questions. It appears that access to the area around the L has been across private land and I assume that was through an agreement with the land owner, correct? How did you get to the ramp on the L with your vehicle? Is it legal to use the recent purchase immediately? I've seen vehicles out by the shore many places before-- was that just illegal trespass? How has that changed or will change? If you speak to any of these general questions it would be informative. Also, I realize that you can't give complete answers to everything since this is "developing news."
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

"it can get rough sometimes before the bathrooms are unlocked for some."

[#0000FF]Yes indeed. Noticed some "evidence" in front of the locked doors down there a couple of times. Gotta be terrible to drive like crazy and run all the way to the restroom...only to be denied access. So why not leave a reminder of your inconvenience...or incontinence.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Kinda like the news story of the burglary at the police station. Seems some diabolical thieves sneaked in and stole all the toilets...and now the cops have nothing to go on.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are two or three places along the fenceline that have been opened to public access...either by the landowners or scofflaws. Once on the other side, there is a network of ROUGH dirt roads that run along the upper rim and a couple that drop down to the lake at different place. The one at the L sometimes requires 4x4 to get back up out. Hopefully there will be new and better roads created in the future.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]On the attached map, it shows a couple of places where land owners have gates...and where eager anglers sometimes tear them down for access. The map also shows the network of ancient dirt roads, along with the steep drop down places to find parking close to the lake. These are not maintained and are tough to get back out even with tricked out trucks.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]One of the open gate and downward access points is to the west of the designated public access turnout. While trespassers have largely not been cited, it is illegal both to access via the highway and illegal to drive on exposed lakebed. Also, it is very rocky and may be hazardous to your tires and vehicle. Nevertheless, when the fish are in, you will see a small city of vehicles out on the shelf.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Until there is a formal announcement...or until the gates are opened...with signage...I would not risk a citation. I know that quite a few "unknowing" drivers have simply driven through the (illegally) opened fences and have had some hefty fines.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope this helps.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great News I hope it works out.
[signature]
Yeah, that fills in a lot of gaps for me. The satellite view certainly helps. Is that "Walleye Warrior" area good for cats, too?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote catchinon]Yeah, that fills in a lot of gaps for me. The satellite view certainly helps. Is that "Walleye Warrior" area good for cats, too?[/quote]

[#0000FF]There are not many places around Utah Lake that don't get visited by cruising kitties. I have caught quite a few cats tubing that area...but only when the walleye wackos are not lined up there. If there are a lot of glazed-eyed jig-flingers wading out there it can be hazardous dodging the casts aimed at you to keep you away.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Most years, the water levels are high enough to keep the waders in closer...and you can only fish outside the dropoffs from being on the water...in a boat, tube, toon or yak. At least during the spring walleye run. But during the fall...after water levels have dropped...bank tanglers and waders can get out to the shelves easier.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Although I have caught cats out there, I have other spots that usually produce more and bigger cats so I seldom fish it any more. Not that I ain't friendly, mind you. But I really don't like fishing with a crash helmet and flak jacket.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That’s great news for you guys, it will be just like the old days. That will save you the long trip out of the marina when you can launch at the L and faster out of the wind.
[signature]
Just curious how deep the L is. Would it have to be dredged to make it suitable for boats? Also, when I was there it didn't look like the ramps extended to the water. What do you think would need to be done with them to be usable?
[signature]

[#0000FF]I'm guessing they are probably about the same depth as the boat channel at the main ramp. Definitely could use some dredging to extend the season.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Those ramps were installed a hundred years ago. Be a good idea to put in new ones if that area is going to be restored to boatworthiness.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I agree with TD. I was at the "L" this a.m. and got a good look at the old ramps. They are at least 5-6 feet shy of the present water level. They are narrow, one-boat at-a-time launches -- replace 'em and start over.

The "L" has enough depth for launching boats during years with sufficient water. The large rock (often referred to as "whorehouse rock") is a constant hazzard. It protrudes 2-3 ft. above water now but when water depth covers it it is a major hazzard for boats leaving or entering. I have personally autographed it a couple of times with my prop. Deeper water is found to the west side of the rock. I hope any improvements to the area will include some well placed dynomite to remove the big protruding rock.

The fence that has been festooned with "no trespassing" signs for the past few years no longer exists. It has been dozed over by the heavy equipment working on the infrastructure for the residential development above the road. The old "roads" that have existed for years to access the old launch area are still there although pretty much grown over with tamaracks, frags, and assorted weeks.

Here's hoping that one day in the reasonable future the entire area from the present Lincoln on around to the Lincoln Point access area will be as nice as the present Lincoln Beach.
[signature]