Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COLD Catfishing 10 15 2018, Provo Harbor
I had a busy weekend so I planned to give the cat contest one more shot on the last day. Monday morning’s forecast was for calm sunny skies with a low 25. What was I thinking trying to go catfishing with a low of 25! Well, it was all I had.

I got to the UL State Park Marina a bit before 7 and the forecasters were right on! I thought to myself “This is going to sound like one of Tube Dude’s adventures, but at least I won’t be IN the water.” Remind me never to think that again. I had put on almost every stitch of cold weather clothing I owned. I must have looked like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man in camo. But I was fairly comfortable. Water temp was a balmy 46 when I started and warmed to 48 by noonish when I left. I spent the whole trip fishing 0.5 to 0.7 MPH and 4.6 to 5.6 FOW. The harbor was the deepest.

I worked my way all along the north dike casting a crank and dragging a cut bait. No love on either and little on the sonar. The only fish I saw was a 4” white in the beak of a grebe. I think I heard him mumble “neener-neener” as he smugly paddled away.

Once in the lake I headed north and traded the crank bait rod for another cut bait, but this one under a balloon to keep it farther from the boat. Three hours into my 5-hour trip and I still had nary a bump. I needed to change the scenery or I was taking the skunk home with me. I guessed that after cold 20+ MPH winds on Sunday the fish might be hiding farther offshore so I pulled the gear, fired up the big motor and ran about 2 miles WNW. The water depth increased from 5 to 5.3’ in those 2 miles, but it was enough.

I was running out of time so I set a timer for 25 minutes. 10 minutes before It went off I got a 23” kitty on the balloon rod! 5 minutes later I hooked another on the same rod but it pulled free. Not from any blistering run, these cats mostly flopped and rolled in the frigid water.

I turned around in case there was a bunch of fish near those 2 and 5 more minutes and I hooked another on the balloon rod. I don’t know if it was the balloon or the blue/silver flake FLIG. This fish shook its head lightly a couple times and I concluded it might be a mudder. A bit latter I knew I had guessed wrong. It was a heavy fish when I got it in the net, but I could only stretch it to 28 ¾”. I needed 29 for a bump in contest so I took the picture w/o the logo and didn’t bother to recheck it. When I looked later I had blown the image up and gotten only the side of a chair. You’ll just have to trust me.

A few minutes after the biggest fish I got the line from my second rod (now with a balloon also) under the mostly tilted up big motor. I walked back to the back and left side of the boat. As I leaned over to get a better angle and gave the rod a flip to free the line, my foot slipped and I went over the side into the now 47-degree water. Wow, that’s cold! I remember thinking as I fell, “You have one job, get back in the boat!”

I was falling face first facing away from it so I swiveled hard and hit the water feet first and facing the boat. I think I started swimming toward the side before I was waist deep. Just about my second stroke and “Fwoop” my PFD inflated. By 4 strokes I got my right hand on gunwale. Then both hands and I started to lift and realized it was too high. “To the transom dummy,” I thought. Once at the transom I got hand holds on it and a foot on the motor and I was back inside. I probably weighed 30 extra pounds from the water in all those layers of clothes!

After I settled down I realized 2 things. First, out of the water I was still fairly warm and second the rod was gone. At least I had sense enough to let it go so I could swim! Looking around I saw the green balloon about 100 yards up wind. Boy am I glad the winds were light! I wouldn’t have drowned in my PFD but, without the boat, I might not have completed the mile plus swim to shore before hypothermia won.

Back in the boat, I decided there was no rush so I left the other balloon rod out and worked back to the green balloon. I assumed that I must have broken the line when I fell, but to my amazement the rod was still attached!

Still fairly warm I looked at my phone and it was 11:55. I wanted to head in at noon to get to work on time. Since I had already cleaned the two smaller fish, I set the timer for 10 minutes and headed due West. Five minutes later the fligged balloon rod got hit. I set the hook on a decent fish. “Maybe this is my 30,” I thought. When the fish was almost to the boat I heard a clatter and saw the flait rod I had put in for the green balloon outfit bending wildly in the holder. I probably didn’t need to, but I set the hook, loosened the drag and shoved it deep into a rod holder on my current side of the boat.

By 12:10 I had both fish in the boat. The first measured 28 and the second 25.” I released them both, pulled the trolling motor and headed for the ramp.
I had a good, albeit eventful, fall outing. 5 cats, 2 over 28" was not bad for 25 degree weather. If I didn’t have to get to work, I think the afternoon fishing would have been good.

I was happy, but I made a commitment to myself. I will no longer fish alone when the water is below 55-60 degrees. I guess I was a bit spooked by my bath!
[signature]
Glad you lived to fish another day. Congratulations on catching those kitties. I have never fished for them in the fall. Curious as to what is the advantage of a balloon over a bobber?
[signature]
Thanks! The biggest advantage is that you can have any amount line beneath/ behind that you want. I was placing the balloon 15-20' above the bait. I fish fairly light sinkers and you need that much line to make sure the setup contacts the bottom regularly.

If you haven't fished a balloon, then this part isn't obvious, but you tie the balloon knot directly around the line. It holds the line well enough to maintain depth/distance, but when you're fightining a fish and balloon hits your top guide the wet line slides through the balloon knot with suprisingly little resistance. If I use a slip bobber, it often slides down the line to the swivel and I don't know it.

I learned to fish them targeting stripers with a guide at Elephant Butte in New Mexico. He would suspend live shad 30 to 50 feet down under a large balloon. It was cool to watch when a fish hit and line went the other way through the knot.
[signature]
Glad to hear you had good fishing but sorry you took a dip. Gravity sucks![sly] When I took my dip this summer it felt more like a warm bath.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Man that's a great story, sorry for the dip, but sure did make for a great adventure...Nice outing and great fish even if they were a bit shy of a bump.... at least you got out... That's better than I did this weekend... (I was a traitor and went after bows at Hyrum... bad call) I think you mentioned the key this time of year, and that was time of day... need to fish a little later in the warm of the day now things have cooled off... Thanks for the post and congrats on your mark this year... Later J
[signature]
Thanks! I appreciate all your work keeping the contest going. It was a lot of fun this year and I think I've learned a few things that will help for the future.

Thanks again!
[signature]
Great story. Glad you got out of the frigid water ok. And we wonder why people say fishermen are nuts.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I used to think I was hardcore. You done outdone me. Glad you got into a few good fish and even more glad you made it back to your computer to tell the tale. Scary stuff. Coulda had a worse outcome...as I'm sure you will relive in your rememberies for years to come.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am waiting for a "mellow" period in November when I can chase some walleyes and hook a few big cats, just to show folks it can be did. In the meantime my tube will be pointing in different directions.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
This was a very entertaining read. Thanks for the report. I had to laugh when you said said fall outing near the end. It was a true fall outing... glad you were safe and the boat wasn’t trolling and left you that would have been scary. I’m just glad I’m reading about it which means your here to live another tale and give us more adventures.
[signature]
Glad you enjoyed it and I hope you can join us for the after the catch party in November... Thanks J
[signature]
Made me cold just reading about falling in that cold water. Not sure I could have finished out the day with 30 pounds of wet clothes on.

Glad you got out fishing and glad you got out of the water. Good trip that could have been a tragedy.
[signature]
Before you answered the balloon question I was going to ask if that was something you learned while salmon or steelhead fishing. Thanks for posting the interesting read.

rj
[signature]
Thanks for the story, great detail and what an adventure.
I will not tell my wife, it's hard enough getting her to let me out by myself. But like you I do wear a life jacket when I'm alone.
Also I have taught my 12 year old and 13 year old grandchildren to run the boat. Some day they may save me. Besides I will give them my boat when I can't go anymore. They have the responsible to take me out and keep me out. You are a great story teller, keep us fed.
[signature]
I'm astounded that it took that many replies before somebody even mentioned the PFD. Pisco, you are ALIVE now because you wore one.
[signature]
Thanks, nobody ever thinks I'm nuts, until they get to know me[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for your supportive words. I don't think I outdone you! I recall several times reading of you're adventures, espeacially at Willard, where you fished in colder air and/or water temps and even dragged your ride through the snow. I only hit an unfortunate cold snap.

I've been thinking of pointing some different directions this fall also, mostly to re-remind myself that I can catch walleye. My second son just got a job in Wenatchee, WA. I read up a bit and I'm drooling to get over there to "take the grandkids" out after walleye. Banks Lake, Potholes Res, Moses lake, the mainstem Columbia, are all less than an hour away, and the list goes on and on.

This weekend though somone whose never cat fished sounded excited to go catfishing, without the dip, so I may make another trip to the golden pond before I venture out.
[signature]
Thanks MM! I was "trolling," or what I call slow dragging with my electric, but the speed was about 0.5 MPH.

I did have a "back up plan" since my i-pilot remote was around my neck and I could have brought the boat back if it had gotten away.

I was amazed though at how fast your muscles go to knots and your brain goes to mush in that cold water. If I hadn't thought of the remote or if it had fallen off, well I'm glad I didn't need to go to the back up!
[signature]
Thanks BLK! I guess all those layers worked kind of like a wet suit, but I only fished another 30 or 40 minutes after the dip. I'm sure that the clear skies and calm winds had something to do with my not bailing out immediately.
[signature]
Thanks R2! I still want to try the balloon rig for Salmon in the ocean. I think it would allow a small boat to fish for halibut and still have room to put a couple of rods working the top 50 feet or so with mooching rigs or cut herring.

I just need to get back to my ocean boat and try it out!
[signature]
Thanks DA! I considered not telling my wife, but decided that was unwise. Then she came home from work while I was in the garage just starting to get out of the wet clothes. I asked her for a towel. She said: "What do you need a towel for?" "Well, I fell in the lake." She just chuckled and said, "Why did you do that."

I was convinced it must not have bothered her, but later that evening she looked at me with moist eyes and said "I'm glad youv'e decided not to go alone in cold water again."
[signature]