Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purtiful Pineview
[#0000ff]Pa and I tubed Pineview this morning. Beautiful sunrise but cooooool. 35 air temp and 53 water temp. Hey, that's a perfect reversal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Met WH2 and his bro just launching at the same time we did. They headed for the narrows...and did pretty well on a mixed species morning. Pa did not have a big enough battery on his electric so we elected to stay closer...fishing the north channel. We did not do as well as the boat boys.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We saw a lot more on sonar than on our lines. There were the previously reported clouds of suspended fish...likely yearling crappies. Only a few fish registering on bottom. Most of the bites we got were from puny perch...%#@$& bait stealers. Actually hooked a few that were barely 4 inches long. Deerickulous. Lost one that might have gone 10 inches and brought in a half dozen bait size...over 6-7 inches.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did catch one bullhead (mudder). And I brought in a couple of decent crappies. Nothing like some of the good days I have had at the narrows...or even in the channel in some years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water level was low. Not as low as I have ever seen it, but low. They were still working to remove the floating docks starting early in the morning and going at it all the time we were there.
[/#0000ff] [signature]
Looks like you had better day we did , he water looked to be just about as calm as we had - sure makes for nice day on the water doesn't it?

Maybe next week we'll get to give it another try....
[#0000FF]After your report from Thursday I wasn't expecting great things. Not the best trip I've ever had on Pineview but did score a few tugs. Even a skunk might have been tolerable on a nice day like that. Or not.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Good luck if you get out next week. I'm thinking the fish will be transitioning quickly to colder water...and going deeper. The narrows...deeper along the rocks...should produce some fish for you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Wow it looks like wiperhunter2, could take us all to school !
I used to say somewhere someone is catching fish, so just keep hunting. What a great looking basket of my favorite fish. If I wasn't setting in the ER now I would be on the road to pineview.
[signature]
[#0000FF]In the ER...as a patient? Good luck. Hope you make it out in good condition for fishing.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]WH2 and brother are seasoned pros on Pineview...and other waters. There is a pattern that develops this time of year in which baby perch and crappies migrate to deeper water...in the rocks...in the narrows and near the dam. That's where they have to go to find food...and shelter.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The larger predators...bass, perch and crappies follow their prey. So anglers with good sonar to find the fish, and good vertical presentation techniques, can usually get in some good fishing. As the water continues to cool, the fish go deeper and deeper until they are at 50 feet or so. And they usually stay in those same areas after ice forms.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Looks like a very nice day to be out there. Great report as always!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thankee sir. I was reckymemberin' the last trip you and Daniel made out there with me. Good times.[/#0000FF]

[inline "HND FAMILY HAUL.jpg"]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I've never fished Pineview before (I never fish north of Salt Lake) so I'm not familiar with 'who, what or where'. How far is it from the boat ramp to the narrows. It's hard to tell by just looking at a map. Kind of curious when you said your fishing partner didn't have enough battery power.

Was thinking of maybe giving it a try next week but don't know whether to bring my boat or my Seaeagle (pontoon type float tube boat).

I've never caught Crappie before but understand they are very good table fare.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You don't even want to try tubing or tooning on Pineview during the summer. The power squadron is atrocious and they charge a fortune...even just to launch a float tube. But after October 1 they shut down the entry gate fees and fisherfolk can enjoy the lake when cooling temps get rid of the rowdies.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In the early fall, it can be good fishing in various places around the lake. Crappies often school up off points or suspend at only 12 to 15 feet at other spots. Good sonar can help a lot. And there are also some good perch in shallower water. Bass fans can find them in many spots around the lake but rocks are always good...as along the rocky shorelines at the narrows...sometimes right on the banks...but gradually going deeper as the water cools toward winter.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It is about 1 mile from the Port Ramp to the most productive rocky area in the narrows. Fishing is usually best from where the shale rocks start on the north side of the channel up to the buoy line. When you start seeing fish on sonar, make vertical presentations with small spoons, plastic tube jigs, small twisters, etc. Tipping them with a piece of crawler or some perch meat helps. And you should always have some of the small (1") Gulp minnows. Crappies and bass love them...but so do perch and bullheads.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]We were in float tubes. We have electric motors on them but they are not nearly as effective on our craft...with our legs hanging in the water for drag...as they are on a small boat or a pontoon. The latter craft rest more on the water than in the water and an electric motor provides more speed and distance with the same thrust motors. I have made the run to the narrows with my 40# thrust motor and a series 27 AGM battery. Usually get back with juice to spare. But Pa had a smaller battery and did not want to risk getting caught coming back in a wrong way breeze with a dead battery. He tends to use his motor a lot and I have had to tow him back in a couple of times when he became powerless.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Having a tube or toon with electric motor helps. But if your pontoon also has oars you have one other propulsion option that can help if fins or motor ain't gettin' it done.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Good luck. Next week should be peaking for the crappies. And yes, they are mighty fine eating.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Just before you get to Port Ramp, there's the beach area at Rattlesnake Cove. It is possible to launch a tube or toon there, but it can be a steep climb getting one back up if you have heavy gear like a battery. And they used to lock it up for the winter, too.

Many times, you can launch in the morning and let the canyon wind waft you down to the Narrows at a perfect fishing speed. Calm comes about 10 am (fine time to eat lunch) and then about noon, the up-canyon breeze will take you right back again. Marvelous.

The area from Rattlesnake Cove to the dam is a No Wake zone, but the power guys still feel like they have to invade every square foot of the lake, so they trundle in and out of there.

Don't be overly surprised if you're reeling in a dinky perch or crappie only to have the rod go "freight train" bendo. Tiger muskie love to hit struggling fishlets. The fight won't last long before you reel in your cutoff line.
[signature]
Thank you for the informative info. It's appreciated and will be put to use.

Think I will give it a try Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the weather and wind forcast.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]You don't even want to try tubing or tooning on Pineview during the summer. The power squadron is atrocious and they charge a fortune...even just to launch a float tube.[/#0000ff][#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[/quote]

Could you please give me some info on the cost to launch my rubber raft? I'm looking at spending a few days there next May, probably the second week.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I haven't experienced the joy of launching at Pineview for some time...during the summer months. But info on [url "https://utah.com/boating/pineview-reservoir?featured=0&url=%2Fboating%2Fpineview-reservoir&source_page_id=5581d23fe92e3ce837720e09&source_page_type=page&destination_page_id=555956e9e92e3c8d7ee22fe4&destination_page_type=page&title=Boating+Information&subhead=Pineview+Reservoir&image_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.deseretdigital.com%2Ffile%2F357bd93941%3Fcrop%3Dtop%3A0%7Cleft%3A0%7Cwidth%3A300%7Cheight%3A250%7Cgravity%3ACenter%26quality%3D55%26interlace%3Dnone%26resize%3Dheight%3A250%26order%3Dresize%2Ccrop%26c%3D14%26a%3D859d722e&image_id=357bd93941&grid_image_type=full-image&grid_size=1x1&position=2&list_name=Content+Grid&is_recommendation=0&pageviewid=1oSlubMcZKZy&site_section_level2=destinations&site_section_level3=natural+areas&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Futah.com%2Fpineview-reservoir&screen_width=1908"]THIS WEBSITE[/url] shows the Port Ramp fees as $12 and Cemetery Point as $13. There is also a ramp at the Anderson Cove Campground and their fee is also $13. But I suspect that if you were staying there it might be different.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you don't mind trudging your craft a ways from the vehicle there are some spots around the lake where you can launch without paying a fee. They are the red Xs on the attached map. Of course conditions vary from month to month and year to year with changing water levels.

[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]May can be a good month for crappies. Look for them to be spawning around flooded brush along the shoreline. [/#0000FF]
[signature]
I've always enjoyed hanging with you. Bit more difficult with work and being on a day shift schedule. I'll make it happen though. Just have to get over some early bug that's bit me and won't go away.
[signature]
There is no fee now to launch from Port Ramp as I’m sure you know. Fee increased to $15 this year and I believe $18 at Cemetery (portion goes to Huntsville) which that ramp is now closed. Campground ramp is also closed and the fee was $15 there. Only place to launch is Port Ramp. Launching smaller watercraft tubes etc can be done elsewhere around reservoir but be prepared for a hike as reservoir is low.

OBTW AL&L won’t be concessionaire at Pineview next year so it’s anyone’s guess what the new fee will be if it stays or goes up even more.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thankee for the accuracy update. I knew you gals would be more in tune with Pineview fee reality than us lowly tubers. I had heard that the fees went up but I was going by that (outdated) website.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope you had a good year on the toothy critters this year. Heard tell of sightings of some small fish this fall so it looks like a good future.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with operations of the Port Ramp. It would be nice if they made that a state park...to allow a lot of us to use our annual passes.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Are you gonna Swiss cheese the ice on that pond again this winter? Looks like the crappies have some size to them so if you can find them they are worth pursuing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Had an okay season chasing them Apex Predator. Yep hopefully we plan on hitting PV during the hard deck but also will be headed north to the hard deck of true Jumbos.

Currently boat less once new boat comes in plan on doing a few outings on PV chasing some pannies and breaking in the boat and relearning all the new gadgets. May also hit Willard for more motor break-in time.
[signature]
[#0000FF]What is your new ride going to be? All the fancy bells and whistles?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope Cascade treats you well this winter. Silly weather up there can make things complicated.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
A little newer Lund with newer gadgets to figure out.

I hear ya on the weather up North and even here as you never know. We do plan on getting on PV soon though to chase them pannies and teefy critters.
[signature]