Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLEASE DELETE YOUR OLD PM's
We are having problems again with members not deleting their old PM's, please delete your old PM's both inbox and those replies you send out. The biggest issue is the attachments so if you want to save files or pics that were sent to you, it's best to do it now if you want to keep them.
[signature]
did my part, not to much left
[signature]
Thanks Robert, hopefully everyone else is willing to do the same.
[signature]
Mine are deleted.
[signature]
Sorry, too valuable.
[signature]
Well that is your call brookie 1 but I'm telling you this now, anyone that wants to save any info they have in PM's had better do it now. There is no more room to store your info, either received or sent, if members do not delete PM's on their own, it will be deleted for them, just like last year. SAVE YOUR PM INFO TO YOUR OWN COMPUTER OR RISK LOSING IT. You likely have little time to do this, so don't wait by this time next week, you PM's will likely be gone if you don't do this on your own.
[signature]
Be sure to check your SENT folder. That's where most of mine were. Were.
[signature]
Done....10/19/18. Deleted all sent msg's and kept 5 inbound with no pictures.
[signature]
Done
[signature]
Done
[signature]
Thanks everyone. I don't think keeping a few PM's with no attachments will be a problem, that is what I'm being told, sounds like the attachments are the biggest issue.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have been knowed to send out some megabytes of drivel. Deleted all my SENT messages and that should restore a wee bit of capacity.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Curt,

I don't keep PMs. Once the intent has been accomplished, its gone. If it's important enough to keep, it gets printed out or transferred to a document and stored on my PC. I generally check all website PM files about once a month just to make sure.

In other words - I ain't the problem. Now leave me alone - will ya? Wink! [Wink] Wink! [Wink][/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Well, yeah, Bob. But you're obsessive compulsive and a perfectionist.

Don't argue; I've fished on your boat. (And hope to again.)
[signature]
Thanks guy, if we all do our part we will get this done and hopefully we will have another year, maybe longer before we have to do it again. I told Vicky that is is likely the result of the bigger and bigger pics attachments that members send but they are still looking for a way to deal with it by deleting older attachments. They have found some older files that could free up some space but we won't find out for sure until Mon.
[signature]
Regarding:
[quote wiperhunter2]… SAVE YOUR PM INFO TO YOUR OWN COMPUTER OR RISK LOSING IT. You likely have little time to do this, so don't wait by this time next week, you PM's will likely be gone if you don't do this on your own.[/quote]

I now have a PC and excellent storage space with Windows 10 and with a subscription to Windows software, but I have very low familiarity and very low computer skills. Is there a way to transfer the files all at once? Copy and paste of each individual note would be a huge task, so a computer technique that makes it easy would be very welcome.

I post this here because someone might know. How do I transfer almost 500 messages quickly?

It sounds like a lot, but it's not much data -- just short lines of text like "stopping at the store" and other brief bits of text. Of course, there are some long ones too (Thanks, Tube Dude!) that are very valuable.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if our Big Fish Tackle software guy might know how to have everyone's entire files sent to everyone's individual email before they are deleted as an automated computer task that would allow everyone a chance to store it all themselves. If that is something that can be an automated into the system, then it saves everyone a lot of work and creates more available storage for the system with one time work for a programmer for everyone to get a copy of their messages and without ever having to ask everyone (with different degrees of skills) to manually do it again.

I can imagine the powers of computers, but don't have the talents to have computers do what I can imagine they can easily do.

I know that if I don't keep contact information and the context with dates and places, then there will come a time that I will want to contact one of my friends there and not remember to match which up with which or which location or which subject or something because the messages have come in handy many times.

Thanks.

Ronald Smile
done
I was really surprised at how many I had collected over the years.
[signature]
Sorry Ronald but at this time that just is not possible and if it were it would cost way more than most members are willing to spend to get one of the tech guys to do it. As far as I know, none of the tech guys work for this site, they are brought in when problems occur and are paid for each task they do. I do know it is possible for them to delete all PMs at once but as far as I know they can not save your PM's to an email, then send them to you. If you like, I can ask and find out for sure but again, if they can, it will likely cost you.
[signature]
Perhaps there's an app for that.

Perhaps there's another way. Perhaps it can be done by us and someone here will know it. Perhaps there's an app for that.

Or perhaps someone here has the talents to write apps. Open the next, copy, paste, repeat is redundant and time consuming for people, but the computer part is fast. If that can be directed by an app, then it would go fast and best of all is we can share the app with all of the membership.

It's just a matter of who among us has that skill. Since our membership is high, it is likely that someone has the answer to this. Perhaps such an app already exists.

I know if it were machinist work or electronic design, that if one way wasn't fitting, then I would find another. In someone elses field of expertise, they can make simple work of what they do best. I just have my talents in other things besides computer skills.
[signature]
Done. Only a half dozen, but gone now.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool