Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice Afternoon @ Utah Lake Provo 10 20 2018
I Fished out of Provo Harbor on Saturday with Mark, a friend form work who had never chased channel catfish on Utah Lake. We arrived about 1:30 P.M. to great conditions; air temperature in the mid 60’s and water at 58 in the harbor and 56 in the main lake. The main lake had cooled to 54 by our departure about 5:30.

It was a great fall afternoon and we enjoyed the time on the water. We picked up one white bass in the harbor and then took our fresh bait and went cat hunting. It was opening day of the general deer hunt so we had the lake mostly to ourselves.

It took about an hour for Mark to get the first cat. It was a nice fish at 26 + and about 7 pounds. We got 2 more in the next hour, both 25-26 inches. We had 3 others hit that spit the baits and then they shut down completely. No fish at all in the last hour.

All the fish came on fresh cut white bass dragged at 0.5 to 0.7 MPH in 4 to 5 FOW. All came on FLIGs, 2 on a silver/blue and 1 on chartreuse. They seemed to prefer leaders less than 12” long.

It was a bit slower than I expected with the warmer water, but it was a gorgeous day and the company was good.
[signature]
Congrats to mark on a nice first catch and to the captain for getting him on it. When I saw your pic I was expecting to see you in a wet suit and a snorkel but I guess this trip went better. I’m glad I don’t want to hear about the miSadventure that was scary. I’m glad this was a decent trip and you got a colleague out and introduced him to fishing.
[signature]
Thanks, Mark is a fisherman, he just hadn't done the UL cats before.

No wet fishermen this trip. I will likely never have that happen again since most bad things seem to happen when I'm out alone.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Another great report...with a happier ending than the last one...at least drier.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am in the final stages of completing some "hookless fligs". You are familiar with "Corkies". I'll call mine "Foamies". They will be the same sizes, shapes and colors of fligs, but with a hole down through the center through which you will string the line...so they ride ahead of whatever your choice of hook and bait might be. I'll send you some pics when I finish the batch I'm working on.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Thinking about doing a launch off the rocks at Lincoln Beach sometime next week...for walleyes and maybe a stray cat or two. Nice of you to keep them exercised for me until I can take care of my share.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks, I just saw your report from PV. It looked like you found some nice fish and got harrassed by the small ones. It sounded a bit cool up there, but an enjoyable report either way.

I just looked at the CUWCD data and it looks like the water has come up a few inches since BLK said he was sticking to his Yak. I've been thinking of trying a trip over there, but I'm wondering if DC or Starvy might be better. If I can make time to go farther from home.

I like the the sound of your "foamies." It will be interesting to see how they compare to FLIGS. When I want a floating bait, I have been using wobble glows, spin n glows or corkies. Lately your FLIGs have been more consistent producers though.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Got some inside intel on Deer Creek...if you wanna ride share. October and November have been good to me in the past.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have been using floaters ahead of baits for quite a few years...going back to when I lived in Sacramento and fished for salmon and steelhead. Since then I have experimented with using them ahead of plastic worms and tubes...for basskind...and ahead of a lot of different plastics and natural baits for other species. The concept is the same as for a flig...above bottom presentation with color and wiggle for added attraction.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As we have mutually discovered, there are a few select colors on those fligs that have proven appeal for our local denizens. It stands to reason that those same colors will work as floaters ahead of a hook. And if you wanna use a circle hook or any other kind of hook you are not limited to whatever hook is attached to the foam...as you are with a flig.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I just put the final UV clear coat on the new goodies this morning. I will send you some pics when they are cured and ready.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]