Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish Contest Winners 2018
To those in the contest this probably isn't news, but for those that wondered what happened this year, let me give a bit of a synopsis.

It was an incredible season of catfish, especially for Ahi1953 (John), he started off in the lead and never let it go this year, first to bust the 30" mark and probably last to do it... John caught nearly 30 fish over the 30" mark this year, but he wasn't alone IceSled from the south made him work for it all year pushing him and even catching a bigger fish than John had for a while, in fact the two of them tied for the biggest fish of the contest at 32.5" officially, but if you look at them, both fish were very close to 33" long...

Bottomwatcher made an incredible tail-end of the contest run at the top, but just couldn't top the iron man Ahi or the Iceman Ben, they kept the Rocky approach going and just kept pounding out more and bigger fish half inch by half inch until Ahi obtained a 96.5" total over three fish to be this years overall champion and team north winner....

IceSled came in second and the south team champion at 94.5" over three fish. But they weren't the only ones over 90 points this year, we also had Bottomwatcher and Sharksugar101 at 92 and 90.5 points respectively this year...

Overall we had 19 contestants at or over 80 points this year. That is a bunch of big catfish. 48 people entered fish in the contest this year and 102 folks signed up... This was a big year for the contest...

Our youth winner was CatSlayer at 79.5 points followed closely by CatNrelease at 78.

We are going to have an awards banquet Thursday November 15th at Holy Smoke Barbeque in Layton Utah. We have tentatively set that up at 5:00 PM but we could discuss what time is best. (This is always a challenge between folks getting off work in time and others that don't like to drive after dark.) But we want all to know they are invited to join us whether they were part of the contest or not, this is a great time to gather as BFT members and get to know each other. This gathering is not very structured, more of a get together and visit with each other, eat some food and tell some lies... I mean fish stories... Hope you will all join us and congratulate our winners. If you would like to join us please respond to this post or PM me so I can make sure we have enough room available. We have no budget so dinner will be on you, but Jeff at Holy Smoke will usually give us the military discount if you tell him you are with BFT for our dinner... I think that's 10% off...

Anyway I'd like to be the first to say great job John, Ben and CatSlayer and the rest of you for all of your efforts in catching and posting some great fish this year. I hope you had fun and enjoyed this as much as I have... I hope you made some new personal best numbers this year and hope to see ya next year.... One last thing, for those that like prizes and haven't decided whether to come or not, we are working on door prizes for a raffle for the attendees... So come join us and you may win a great prize... Thanks all... J

Oh one very last thing Team North Rules 309.5 to 304 this year as the champion team... That's ten fish at almost 31" average.... Thanks team north it takes more than just a champion to win the team thing...
[signature]
Great summary, Jeff. Those of us not in the contest would have no clue how dedicated and tireless the competitors really are unless the tale gets told.

See you at the dinner!
[signature]
Thanks Rocky and glad you are going to join us... I can't begin to relate the number of hours John must have put in this year to earn that title, seems like everyday he caught a load of monsters... I'll bet he had over a hundred fish that went over 29" this year... Big time dedication by that guy and he knows how to do it right... I think we can safely say there aren't many fish over 32" inches around or else he would have caught them...

Oh one award I forgot to mention, our smallest catfish award goes to Sharksugar101.... This is a back to back win for Sharksugar.... Sorry I forgot to mention that accomplishment, he nailed a 4" catfish with a hook... try to get one smaller, it's tough if not impossible... Great job SS101.... J
[signature]
Jeff, wife and I will be there. Another great contest and another great year. Thanks for all your work.

We are still fishin for a big Cat, but now it's for personal fun and time out of the house before the weather socks in.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Hey Forest look forward to seeing you two there, you have supported this contest from the early days and it's great to have your continued support... Thank you... Jeff
[signature]