Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brooks under ice
Can anyone tell me if there are any lakes with brook trout that are accessible by 4wd vehicle in winter? Maybe Mill Hollow?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Totally depends on the year. Last winter, I drove to a southern Utah lake at 10,600’ and found only a skiff of snow in early January. Very hopefully that will not be the case this year, or we are in trouble! Henry’s Lake in Idaho has great brook trout through the ice until Dec. 31st. Now if Utah would stock sterile brook trout in some waters instead of those worthless tiger trout......
[signature]
Thanks. Figured you would know if anyone would. I just checked and Mill Hollow does have brookies; we fished there after dark last year but didn't do any good. Report is that it is starting to freeze. Hopefully we will have more snow than last year but if it holds off a while we might get in there with the pickup.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

We were up there at MH last weekend and it was still wide open, not even ice around the edges. We did well there last year during first ice, just not sure when that will be with the warm weather we have been having but it's looking like things will be changing next week. It's just a matter of it stay cold, even during the day, if we are lucky we might have ice by Thanksgiving.
[signature]
Yeah, I just looked on the map and it sits at 8843', considerably higher than other area lakes like Strawberry and Currant Creek. Should freeze over sooner, especially being so small. We hit it last year in early December after a day of antlerless elk hunting.
[signature]

Fish lake and Panguitch lake both have brookies if you want to drive south when the lakes ice up
[signature]
Good to know, thanks. We're planning to make it down to Fish Lake this year; tried to go last year but the ice was unstable. Any suggestions on how to fish specifically for brooks as opposed to perch, etc?
[signature]

Utah does stock some steryl brookies, They have been putting them in ferron reservoir for a few years now. Nice size on them too
[signature]
[quote chuckbigflies]Fish lake and Panguitch lake both have brookies if you want to drive south when the lakes ice up[/quote]

neither are really known for their brook trout. I think you'd struggle getting them at those lakes. But you certainly could find other nice fish.
[signature]
That is true, but by the time it freezes you would usually need a snowmobile, and for a long ride!
[signature]
I feel you would be hard pressed to specifically target brook trout in Panguitch or Fish Lake. They would probably be near structur, like weeds or logs, rocks etc., but they would also try to be in groups of their own kind. If you found one you might find a lot, but finding those groups would be very difficult.
[signature]
PS , if anyone has found where the brook trout hang out in Fish Lake, I envy them!
[signature]
That's true, However I talked to some guys who were hunting the area last week. They said there is quite a bit of ice already , and with the forecast low temps next week along with no moisture forecast. A good 4 wheel drive may give someone a chance. I have caught those brookies there up to near 20". Love those steryl brookies
[signature]
Sorry, but I couldn't figure out which lake you were referring to. Do you mind saying?
[signature]

[quote catchinon]Sorry, but I couldn't figure out which lake you were referring to. Do you mind saying?[/quote]

most likely: Ferron
[signature]
Got it, thanks. On my bucket list.
[signature]

Ferron
[signature]