Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hallelujah at Lincoln Beach 10-28-18
[#0000ff]Since I retired, I seldom fish either day of a weekend. After all, I now have 7 day weekends. But sometimes I make exceptions. Weather forecast told me that if I wanted any fishing in the next few days it had better be on Sunday. And I have been knowed to attend the church of the seventh day angler.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been wanting to try to find a couple of walleye at Utah Lake. October and November is usually a good time to do so. So...I headed for Lincoln Beach this morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched to calm conditions and air temp 41...water temp 54 and water fairly clear for Utah Lake. Looking good but I was hoping I was not going to get punished for fishing on Sunday. No lightning and thunder but there were some blasts from the duck hunters around the south end of the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Parked in the "reserved parking" area near first spring and spent the first hour pitching assorted plastics all around the spots that have produced walleyes and whities in the past. They must have all gone to a different church this morning because none came to fellowship me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the time I decided to move out deeper and cast my bait upon the waters for catkind, it had gotten warm enough that I could remove my gloves. And within a short time of my first bait settling to the bottom I was welcomed to the kitty congregation. That first fish was a nice two footer. Good start.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over the next three hours, several more members of that group accepted my offer of free exercise and tender release. All were over 20 inches and one was 25 or 26. But all strived mightily in the cool water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One ugly heathen intercepted an invitation meant for his larger brethren...an ugly mudder. Always seems to be a few show up when you are trying to have a peaceful worship service.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As often happens, I caught a couple of cats on lures meant for other species. One was on a small flig and worm being dragged for white bass...or walleyes. The other was on a purple and chartreuse twister definitely intended for walleyes. Wonder of wonders. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were several members of the walleye worshiping clan fishing out on the edges of the ledges...out west off the orchards. They were too far for me to see any results, but one of the guys on his way out stopped to chat and confirmed that there had been a few walleyes showing up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never have been able to tolerate staying in church too long. Felt I had been sufficiently blessed by about noon and exited the chapel to lovely calm conditions and surrounded by the beauties of creation.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yep. Better to be fishing and thinking heavenly thoughts than to be stuck in church wishing you were fishing.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report and special thanks for always including the temperature. Ice_sled reported that he had 52 degrees out of Provo and caught 6 cats. It's good to know that the cats are still active. When I went hunting all I got was a big old skunk, so now I can get back to catfishing until freeze-up. Is the spring area good for bank tangling?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Glad you got out and had a good day. Didnt look crowded and no wind. Fantastic. fish looked pretty good too. i plan on getting out soon and give that fishfinder a go. Not sure what day. depends on weather. Anyway good job.
[signature]
[#0000FF]While the water temps are staying above 50 there will still be some cats within casting distance from the end of the rock shelves. I got two on bait yesterday within casting distance of shore...and my last cat, which was caught on plastic, was fairly close to the rocks. It drops off into 5 feet of water fairly quickly.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As the water continues to cool, white bass and other species start moving up into the warmer area in the pond formed by first spring. Last year there were whities, cats, crappies, bluegills, perch, largemouth, walleyes and even pike caught there before iceup.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Weather looks a bit "Halloweenie" most of next week. That's why I decided Saturday night to make a speed run on Lincoln Beach.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]We still got some good fishing ahead this year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I enjoyed the sunday edition of your worship service. Very clever and enjoyable. Thanks for the pics and the lively conversation.
Hope you are doing well.
Jared
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. Glad you liked it. Hope I did not offend anyone. Easy to see I don't take myself (or my spirituality) too seriously. But there are other folks who seem to get easily outraged at anything that has even the slightest appearance of sacrilege.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Dominoes Nabisco.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I’d rather be on the lake thinking about God then being in church thinking about Fishing.[Wink]
[signature]
I know that sometimes things I post may be taken seriously when they are all in fun. Anybody that doesn't know that you have an active sense of humor by now must not have been reading the forum long. Even lately in a conference of that one church they said to stop taking offense at every little thing. Words to live by.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks for another fun report. I'm glad you got out before the weather got halowindy or haloweeny or whatever. It doesn't look great for this week.
[signature]
Amen
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, the weather looks kinda "tricky"...not "treaty" this week. But there should be a couple or three doable days next week.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]By the way, here are a couple of pics of the new "foamies"...hookless fligs to string on your line ahead of a bait hooks.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote GSP]Amen[/quote]

[#0000FF]And aaaaahhhh women.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Those look deadly! My UV Blast is on the way!

Do you have to supersize those for Sturgeon?
[signature]
[quote Piscophilic]Those look deadly! My UV Blast is on the way! [#0000FF]Check in with me before you start using that stuff. A few little wrinkles I can offer to help get best results without wasting.[/#0000FF]

Do you have to supersize those for Sturgeon? [#0000FF]Ha. I am just finishing a batch of "Kong" fligs...much larger than the gorilla fligs. I found some super 8/0 hooks with tempered steel and nice sharp points. And I made a new plug drill that gets wider plugs from the new 1.5" thick foam pad I just bought. I'll be making some foamie floats from them, as well as the bigger fligs. The bigger models are aimed at the sturgeon chasers but I am confident that big cats will vote for them too. Those silly kitties never take time to read the directions. I'll be testing that theory myself.[/#0000FF]

[/quote]
[signature]
Will do. Thanks!
[signature]