Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing
It sounds like a number of our regular ice-fishing lakes will have very small pools this year. Maybe that's good for fishing as it concentrates the fish more. But can anybody tell me how it affects the fish and what we can do to best fish them? I'm thinking of Huntington and Echo, for example.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]I sold off my ice fishing gear and no longer do the drillin' and chillin' routine. But I have had a fair amount of experience on Huntington...through various water level conditions. I think I am safe in saying that most of the ice fishing this year will be at the dam end of the lake...in the deeper spots. [/#0000FF][#0000FF][#0000FF][b]Even in the summer...at full water pool...the area right off the dam can be some of the best fishing.[/#0000FF] But sometimes those silly tigers cruise only 10 to 15 feet down and can be caught at other areas around the lake. So if fishing is slow, move toward the middle of the lake and look for some deeper spots along the south shoreline...and use your sonar to see if it is worth fishing.[/b][/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]A word of caution. Even though Huntington freezes early...and the ice forms quickly once it starts...don't rush it. We have had guys wanting to be first on the ice and they go out on new slick clear ice only a couple of inches thick. Foolish. At least wear cleats and a floatation vest.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I try to get the boat out on my ice fishing ponds before the hard deck shows up and find out where the fish are hanging out while I can move and graph in the boat... I've found the low levels has changed the usual hang outs in some of my ponds.... Several areas that have been good are now high and dry...

If you can't get a boat out, then perhaps Pat can tell you how to graph through the ice sheet... On good clear solid ice, your fish finder will graph through the ice as long as you have a good solid link to it by pouring some water on the surface and put your transducer on the puddle... It will let you check what's under you, without drilling a hole...

Or you can get an electric drill and auger and on thin ice you can run and gun pretty fast to search for fish.. but you need your finder set up for the quick move mode...

Also a good idea to take a spud bar with you and know how many hits it takes to go through the ice... If one shot goes through, you might want to get off quickly... Two or three hits you're probably okay... But check the ice thickness when you're figuring your spud bar technique... and then check as you go... Good idea to make sure you have at least 3" of ice although 4" is better... and 6" even better... but like Pat said, a good lifejacket and a buddy with a rope to pull your stupid self out is a good idea... it's almost here....J
[signature]