Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Crappie
Had a great day at Pineview with kentofnsl. We caught a total of 15 Crappie in about 5 hours. Started out quick and then slowed down as far as Crappie. At times, we had either perch or bluegill that wouldn’t stop biting but stlll fun to reel in. Boat docks still out. Water temp was 52 degrees. Thanks Kent!
[signature]
Yep, you certainly schooled me today. Nice getting out with you again.
[signature]
Linda waves hi!
New here, 1st post.

grandpafish I'm obsessed with catching some crappie! Grew up crappie fishing in Wisconsin. Just retired and started fishing again after 40 years, but all I've caught here in Utah so far is trout. I'd give anything for some crappie!

I assume you caught yours in a boat with a fishfinder? I don't have a boat, so stuck shore fishing. Checked out Pineview a couple weeks ago and didn't even drop a line. Water is so low, didn't see any good places to fish for crappie. I hear everyone is catching by boat out in the narrows before the damn. But way too steep for me to try to get down there.

Any tips for where I could catch some from shore, with fairly easy walk-in access?

What were they biting on? How deep?

My fingers are itching to catch some crappie before everything freezes over. Any help appreciated!

TIA
Linda
[signature]
Hey Linda welcome to BFT, I haven’t been up this fall so I’m not going to be a lot of help for you, but I suspect some members will join in.

From shore is going to be tough because finding the fish is the trick and you usually need to cover some water to locate the fish. If they are schooling up in the narrows it may get very tough to get you on the fish, but maybe someone in a boat can give you an invite to join them. Good luck. J
[signature]
This was grandpafish's first time fishing Pineview and so his experience is limited to fishing from my boat that day. I have seen them catch them from the shore in the narrows; however, as you discovered accessing the shore to fish the narrows is not an easy task. A better bet may be to try the north marina on Willard Bay. Easy fishing there, but not sure if they are in the marina this time of year. Hopefully, TubeDude will be able to give you some guidance.
[signature]
[#0000FF]TubeDude waves back. Hi Linda and welcome to our playroom.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]This is not a good time of year to fish for crappies if you are limited to shore fishing. Even with a boat you still have to search them out...and then find active fish...and then make finesse vertical presentations to get the touchy tykes to bite. Yes, it is POSSIBLE to catch crappies from shore this time of year...but only if you already know where they are. And if they are reachable by casting from shore, you still have to be able to coax them to bite. Without a boat and sonar you will be fishing blind and casting to fishless water most of the time.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Springtime is far better for all kinds of crappie fishing, including casting from shore. That is when the crappies school up around flooded shoreline brush or other structure for spawning. They are easier to find and generally more agreeable to hitting the silly stuff fisherfolk throw at them.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have attached maps for Pineview and for the north marina of Willard Bay...both good bets for crappies in April and May. At Pineview, walk down to the lake from the various public access areas...like Spring Creek...and cast out a small jig under a bubble. Fish right next to visible brush or flooded vegetation. Rig your bubble 3-4 feet above a small chartreuse tube jig or twister. Keep moving around the lake and trying new spots until you find fish.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]At Willard Bay, late April through most of May is the prime time for crappies in the north marina...and sometimes along the dikes if the water levels are right. Fish along the east shoreline of the marina, again casting out a bubble and jig rig not far from shore. Chances are there will be a few (or many) others chasing those tasty critters so you can watch and learn if the fish are in.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Watch this board for reports when the crappies start getting busy in the spring. Then, as previously suggested, you can beg, plead and grovel to get some kindly BFTer to provide a boat trip or shorefishing show and tell.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Linda,
Welcome to BFT. kentofnsl is correct, this was my first trip to Pineview so I am afraid I am not much help. Kent has offered a suggestion. He taught me to fish Pineview, I know his experience is great. Sorry I am not able to help.
[signature]
WOW! You guys rock and are so helpful! I was just heading out fishing and didn't expect replies already. Thanks for all the great tips and for the maps too TubeDude!

Finding crappie was easy back in Wisconsin, just find a bed of weeds by a drop off or a downed tree branch. haha. But Pineview is so barren.

I tried Willard a few times when I 1st started fishing again a couple months ago. No crappie love, just cats.

Yes everyone keeps telling me this is not the right time, so I guess I'll give up on crappie and settle for trout.

Soooo I'm off to catch some bows. 1st some easy morning fishing right down the road, then think I'll go check out Hyrum.

Hey to try to give back a little -, if anyone just wants some quick, easy catch and release action Meadow Creek pond has been crazy past 2 days. One guy would cast, immediately get a hit. Reel it in, then rinse and repeat. EVERY single cast he caught one! Most are little stockers, but there were a couple good ones. Again not very challenging, but lots of fun.

Thanks again you guys!

Linda
[signature]
I don't know your experience level with things like tubes and such but they are a great option as are kayaks for getting on the water.
Tube Dude is known for his tubing abilities. He goes all over and fishes for all kinds of fish from his.
Keep track on KSL for them, they are not to expensive and with some PVC tube advice and glue can be made into quite the fishing machines. Add on a "fishing Buddy" type fish finder and you do have a boat, not for fast and far, but you have a boat.
[signature]
Welcome to Utah, many opportunities.
I suggest looking forward to ICE. Pineview will be good for crappie at lots of areas. Just look for the people most are happy to help and shair.
There will be other panfish to chase, Hyrum will have good yellow perch, and the bear river in Cashvalley. Mantua you will need to check out, blue gill perch and bass threw the ice. Those pesky rainbows will be there to.
So branch out lots of fishing up north.
Good fishing!!
Doitall
[signature]
Hey Troll! I've been dying to get a toon or a 49lb boat. Something I can handle and load myself without a lot of hassle. Been looking and looking, but I have lots of restrictions. Money less an issue than just physical restraints. PLUS I really want to row. (no paddles or motors for me.) But have long legs, and so many of the small boats and toons have a hard time rowing due to oars hitting knees.

Waiting til spring but right now this Sea Eagle boat is my front runner:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF0TDAM/. Little more room for all my stuff than a one man toon. But again the oar locks are pretty low.

Got so jealous today watching a guy get to all the places I wanted to, but couldn't.

Thanks for the warm welcome doitall5000! I'm torn about ice fishing, but may have to try it.
[signature]
I have a SeaEagle and love love love it. BUT if you get one do yourself a favor and put a electric motor on it. I've only used the oars on mine once and it didn't work to well for me. I also think you'd have a hard time with just using oars in a strong wind. It might work for someone else but I like the electric motor on mine. I primarily use it in the fall after I put my Bass Tracker to bed for the winter. It only weights 40 pounds and you can blow it up with a foot pump in less than 5 minutes. I've put extra mounts on mine to hold extra poles and also a fish finder. You don't need a truck to haul it around. It folds down to about 30" x 24" x 8". Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about it.
[signature]
Thanks lovetofish - cool you have one!

Ya I thought about getting stuck w/o a motor. My arms and back aren't that strong - but I can almost feel myself rowing and I think it would do my back so much good - if it wasn't a knee knockin' struggle.

w/o a motor I'd just take it to easy places like Kaysville pond and Adams, on a calm day. Hmmm, but that doesn't jive with me wanting to get out to catch some crappie on bigger waters like Pine or Willard. So guess I would need a motor.
[signature]
[#0000FF]We of the float tubing and pontooning persuasion have mostly come to realize the value of having multiple options for propulsion. A lot of us wear good divers' fins for routine positioning and minor moves. 'Tooners with oars have an option of moving farther and faster than with fins alone. But if you also have a motor you can get to your chosen spot more quickly, make faster moves from spot to spot and get back to your vehicle better if the wind comes up...from the wrong direction...as it usually does.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, we of the older generation should be mindful of our declining physical abilities...and the potential for medical malfunctions. Having a motor can make a world of difference when your body won't cash the checks our fisherman's brain writes for us.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here is a chapter from my float tubing CD/book I wrote a few years ago...much of it now outdated. But when you get around to wanting to add power to your toon, I'd be happy to help you get it properly set up. I have done a lot of tubes and toons and they are all different, at least to some extent.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I sure do want to catch some crappie through the ice this year. Could you share a few more details on how to go about it? Thanks.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have sent you a PM. ( private message)
[signature]