Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE Most Essential Ice Fishing Tool
I know the sleds, augers, wheelers, snowmobiles, boots, tents, jigs, tip-ups, rods, reels, depth finders and all the other gear is necessary for successful ice fishing.
However, THE most essential thing to have with you is a throw rope. Ice picks are also highly recommended but a rope is a true life saver.

Your throw rope doesn't have to be an expensive pre-made commercially available unit although several are available and they are not very expensive when you consider the average funeral is about $8,000.00.

My throw rope is 100 feet of 3/8" poly which I chose because it floats. On one end is a 18" boat bumper that weighs about 1.5 pounds. I can throw the float over 30 yards without much effort. About three feet above the boat bumper is a large D-ring that allows the person in the water to hook the rope around their chest. Once in very cold water you will lose your fine motor skills quickly and you may not be able to hold on to a rope unless is it secured around your upper chest. I had the old boat bumper and the rope and D-ring were about $15.00, pretty cheap compared to the alternative.

I make a point to show the rope to all of those in my party and I show them how the rope can be deployed quickly. Always position the throw rope where it is handy and readily available if anyone goes into the water. In a large party it is a good idea to have at least two throw ropes in case more than one person goes for a swim.

Ice fishing will be upon us soon and early and late seasons are the most likely to result in accidents. Check new ice carefully and don't go out alone in marginal ice conditions.

Everyone be safe out there and watch out for everyone else on the ice. None of us want to live through or hear about another ice fishing accident.

Mike
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Words to live by.
[signature]
Hey Mike you mind posting a picture of your rope set up? I'd like to do the d ring thing I just have a rope with me. Thanks J
[signature]
Very timely. We were fishing at Scofield today and I recalled how a friend and several family members were out after ducks one day there and ended up in the water. I don't remember details but they may have been overloaded in a small boat and not have had a flotation device for each person. More than one did not survive. I have taken way too many risks in my life but try never to tempt fate around water. I too would like to see just how you make the rope. I think I'm going to keep my risks to bold moves in board games.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I will be glad to post a photo of my throw rope set-up. I'm working today and my ice fishing gear is in a storage unit where I keep my boat. I'll be able to get the photo posted later this afternoon.

Mike
[signature]
Excellent reminder and suggestions Mike, thank you.
[signature]
Thanks Mike that will be great!!! J
[signature]
Throwing flotation is a great idea!

I carry 100 feet of bright colored paracord and two ice anchors of the ice climbing screw design. They screw into ice in seconds by hand and really hold well. It's a very lightweight combination that fits in a pocket.

My rescue thinking is to throw the brightly colored paracord with a weight attached past the person who falls through the ice with no need for accuracy. If the cord doesn't land on their head, I simply move and that pulls the cord that missed over to them.

Combining an element of your idea (Thanks!), I might tie in some loops and have a carabiner already at the end of the paracord for those who are not proficient with knots or otherwise not doing well with the cord.

Then I would screw in an ice anchor with my end of the cord looped over it and put my boot against it to keep me from sliding across the ice as I pull out the person.

I also carry extra clothing with my gear and tent that can be used for another person falling through the ice. I fell through ice in shallow water and had extra clothes and even extra boots with me, but was having so much fun ice fishing that I didn't even bother changing. I also didn't mind testing the clothing insulating abilities even wet. Interestingly, the clothing didn't hold much water and the wetness mostly went away over the hours. But, I recognize having extra clothes and boots as good preparedness for either harsher conditions or other people at risk of hypothermia from falling through.

With one end attached to the ice anchor, I could even go into the water should that be necessary for some reason and still have a firm rope attachment to the ice to assist the other person in getting out.

For individuals alone falling through ice, the ice anchor is as good as an ice spike and should I need for it to have a better grip, I screw it in. I carry two.

For myself falling through the ice, I would use momentum to get out like this:

https://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/...-Water.gif

Related posts:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...G;#1028184

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...y;#1029148

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...r;#1034414
[signature]
I took some photos of my throw rope. The photos were taken today on bare ground, sorry no ice was available without driving 2345 miles north.

The set-up consists of 100 feet of polypropylene rope, 3/8" in diameter. The boat bumper is about 18 inches long and it's 6 inches in diameter. It weighs a little over a pound but it's heavy enough to throw at least 30 yards with very little effort.

The "D" ring is 3 inches long. I made a loop at the end of the rope so the rescuer has something to hang on to when the rope is deployed. The "D" ring is attached with a piece of nylon rope tied through a simple loop in the main rope. The "D" ring allows the person in the water to wrap the rope around their chest and secure it. The very cold water may render the person in the water unable to hold on to the rope long enough to be pulled out.

Polypropylene rope floats and it doesn't absorb water so it won't get overly stiff when cold.

I strongly urge everyone who plans to venture on the ice this season to consider making a throw rope set-up to allow for the recovery of anyone who goes through the ice. I've seen three friends go through the ice at Flaming Gorge while on a snowmobile and we didn't have a rope with us. It was just the will of God they were able to get themselves out of the water and they all survived. This near tragedy happened in January of 1979! I have NEVER gone on the ice since then without a throw rope readily at hand.

Mike
[signature]
Good idea. I think I'll make some version of it. Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
Thanks Mike that's a great idea and a picture sure helps me understand better how you did it. Thank you. Jeff
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I've had mine in my ice sled for about 3 years now. Very similar to yours except the bumper is a large dog training bumper which is a little less bulky. Excellent advice that everybody should take to heart. The life you save may just be a loved one or a very close friend. It is absolutely impossible to be "too safe." [Smile][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I keep this in my bucket:

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/emergency...-rope.html

Weighted, floats, the buckle keeps the rope from creeping out.
[signature]
The rescue rope throw bags are good products but they can be pretty pricey if you buy a longer one. I was concerned about a safe distance from broken ice and my 100 foot rope allows the rescuer to be back on sound ice or ground. 50 feet is probably long enough for most situations but cases have happened where a much longer rope is needed. When my friends went through the ice on their snowmobile in 1979 at the Gorge, the forward speed of the snowmobile caused it to go through about 50 to 60 feet beyond the edge of safe ice. We had to run around a very large hole that was created when their snowmobile crashed through the ice. Thankfully one of the three got himself out and reached back and pulled his brothers to safety.

It was about 25 degrees below zero and their clothing froze solid within a few minutes. Another friend and I had to walk from Gold Point to the Mustang boat ramp while our snowmobile was used to get the cold and wet brothers back to their vehicle.

It was certainly a helpless feeling watching them splash around in the water and we didn't have anything we could use to reach out to them because of the distance involved. I knew right then I would not go on any ice again without a long throw rope.
[signature]
Great reminder, Mike! Thanks. Ice will be here soon. I noticed a pond on the Uintas today that iced up over night last night.
[signature]
I don't really ice fish but think I will make a setup for the boat.
[signature]
My Tribal permit is good until December 20 so I will be watching the ice at Twin Potts since it's usually one of the first to freeze. I heard it had been very low but it was filling last time I asked about it.

We'll have to get together more this winter. I'll be at Starvation as soon as we get safe ice. I think the small walleye may be easier to catch with fewer small perch for them to chase.

Mike
[signature]
Great posts by all. Just to add an idea. On my rope, I have a simple pool noodle wrapped around the rope above the bumper. So, they clip the caribiner to the rope and have some assistnace in floatation while we dry people are scrambling to get them out.

The Gorge is a monster, and usually takes someone yearly, unfortunately. Be prepared kids.

Another point is self rescue. Have a plan if you’re alone. I am alone often, unfortunately, so having a plan if I go through is imperative.
Self rescue works. Unfortunately I've had to use it a couple of times but by staying calm I made it home.

https://youtu.be/QKpAzvXSldA
[signature]