Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Turnover
I was at Daniel's Reservoir in SE Idaho yesterday. In a full day of fishing I managed to land a half dozen fish. This lake has fished very well all fall and 15 or 20 or better fish days have been common. At the boat ramp, I talked to a couple of guys who'd fished deeper water with sinking lines and done very well. Surface temperature was 39.6 degrees. On the way home I got thinking about lake turnover and googled the attached link. My guess is that it was about to turnover and the fish had followed the warm water to the bottom. Explains why I didn't find them while the folks plumbing the depths did much better. Why does this stuff have to be so hard?

https://onthelake.net/fishing/turnover.htm
[signature]
Hey Larry that's a great article, I hadn't known that the sulfur smell was part of the lake turnover... Guess I have been there during the turnover before... Cool, and thanks Jeff
[signature]
I've been studying this phenomenon for several weeks. There are hundreds of sites that purport to have the best explanation. I have read several and still don't have a super-clear understanding of turnover. This site you have provided is a good one and gives yet another informative angle on it. Thank you.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.