Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bouyant ice fishing coat question
OK I am thinking about buying a flotation type ice fishing suit ,coat or bibs. What are the best ones that are available now? Any pros and cons of the ones that you have. I kind of like the FRABILL because it is Coast Guard certified .
[signature]
I'm sure there are those that buy those type of flotation bibs or suits but I don't know of anyone that has one. During new ice condition lots of members wear those inflatable life jackets, that inflate when they make contact with water. How much does one of those flotation bibs or suits cost?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]They ain't cheap and not for everyone due to the expense. I'm waiting for Sportsman's Warehouse to get one on the shelf in my size (XL). The one I want is the Striker Predator. They cost $210 each for the coat & bibs. But I have a couple of the $30 off coupons which will bring the cost down to $180 each. I pray I never have to rely on it, but at my age I like the security of using it just in case.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And in case anybody wants a good deal on a used, uninsulated Clam Ice Armor coat & bibs (XL), PM me. It's worked for me for 3 years and with proper layering, I was never cold in sometimes very brutal blowouts on the ice.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Wow, I did not know you could buy them that cheap, I thought they were closer to 1k, great price IMO. Thanks for the info Bob.
[signature]
I wear a life jacket early in the season. I just want some extra protection for when I go to different areas or an abnormality in a usual spot. I hate going from 4 inches to 2 inches in 30 feet I am mainly looking at a cost for right now maybe bibs later.
[signature]
My son and I have the Striker ice bibs and jacket. I got the Guardian for us both. They are the least insulated in their line. I prefer that and layer underneath depending on the temps. I’ve never been cold in them, but more importantly because they are not heavily insulated I don’t take them off very often, even on the hike out. They are also substantially less expensive. I paid around $125 on each piece. The youth ones were around $100. I got his big enough to last a while and wear his life jacket under the coat while on the boat. They have the same sure float as the more expensive ones. This was 3 years ago. Although they have never been wet, the piece if mind was well worth the cost. It was an easy sell to mom too! Here is a couple in action photos.
[signature]