Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo fishing
We must have invited the same anglers.[Wink] I have experienced many of those and many that you didn't list. Such as didn't show up because his wife didn't want him to fish with strangers. Couldn't let me know that he wasn't going to show.
[signature]
I fish alone 99% of the time. I love being by myself and making my own decisions and not worrying about what the other guy is doing. And the most dangerous part of hunting and fishing is not the activity it self but being on the road driving to and from your hunting fishing spot.
[signature]
[quote kj]... besides, should I have a heart attack and end up dead somewhere in the woods... littering is against the law. Pack out what you pack in. [Smile][/quote]

Yeah, and in my case it might be considered toxic waste dumping! [shocked].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied. It makes me feel like I'm not so crazy after all. Not sure how much it will help with my wife, but ...
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have a wife and 20 year old son. None of us sweat the little things. We don’t worry or call every time someone goes somewhere or takes a flight. When I fly fish streams I’m doing it alone 90 percent of the time. I don’t routinely tell anyone the exact details where I’m going but certainly will give them a 10 mile radius where I’ll probably be if asked. 95% of the time I encounter no one while fishing because away from the crowds is usually the fastest fishing. The key is to be prepared mentally and physically. Use good judgement especially when scouting new routes off trail. Never go down a ledge you can’t go back up if it leads to a cliff unexpectedly. Now I actually look at this differently than most. I feel safer when out on the middle of nowhere. I run into more mountain lions and black bears than I do humans. But statistically I’m pretty sure I’m less likely to be hurt or killed by those animals than being in a city full of people. Give people cell phones and cars and the risk is substantially higher in the city I’m sure. Humans do drug, get drunk and have mental illness on top of that. If you have sound judgement, pay attention to the weather and don’t take any chances with lightning Imreally doubt fishing alone is more dangerous than being back in town or the city. My dogs have generally watched over me fishing anyways. I’m down to a single 13 year old dog but she hasn’t slowed much. She still chases off every coyote for fun just like she started doing at 9 months. Her favorite activity on earth is to chase off black bears. And she has no problems letting mountain lions know that they aren’t to mess with us. She’s even put one on the run when my wife happened to stop 10 yards from one while mountain biking the foothills above SLC. She’s my guardian angel.
Now I don’t usually fish alone in Grizzly country of Montana or Alaska. That’s where I draw the line most of the time. However once in a while I push the boundary there just a bit if the fishing is really good[Wink].
[signature]
Have story about fishing alone.
2 years ago I was alone cast netting chubs at Scofield outlet. Foot snagged on discarded line (SLOBS). I fell head first down the boulder strewn slope. I went head first into river amongst the boulders. As I fell I recall thinking "I can't bash my head in theses rocks or I am going to drown". I ended up un the river but was able to avoid hitting my head. I however tore my shoulder up, needed surgery and could not fish for 4 months.

I still hunt and fish alone but see even more the need to be cautious.

I also find that as I age I am getting a bit wiser slowly so I don't go alone as much.
[signature]
[Smile]
[signature]