Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millsite - Still low & slow
A friend and I fished Millsite today from our tubes. This was our plan B since we were originally planning to go to Starvation.

The reservoir level is down for the reconstruction of the dam and spillway structure. The reservoir has not been stocked since 2014 because the project was supposed to have been done long before now.

We launched between 9:30 and 10:00 and fished until about 2:30. We used both fast sink and medium sinking lines and size 6-8 bead head leeches in purple, olive, and brown. We only picked up five fish, all cutthroats between 16" and 19" long. We only had about another five or six fish on so it was pretty slow.

The water temperature was 39 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 5'.

The weather was perfect with no wind and plenty of sunshine.[Smile]
[signature]
I just registered for an ice fishing derby on that water. Your post is actually encouraging. I saw they have not planted in several years and the water is at 8% full. Had me wondering if there was actually any fish at all left in there. Good job, thanks for the report.
[signature]
Your welcome.

We marked quite a few fish and there is a good portion of the reservoir over 30' deep.

Good luck in the tournament!
[signature]
I can't believe that project is still not done. Any word on when it will be done?

Need to do a fishing and golfing trip again...
[signature]
The project was supposed to be completed December 15th but because of a design flaw the schedule has been moved to early spring.

The State Park and the golf course are pretty much done and ready to use.

We just need some snow this winter to bring the water level back up.[Wink]
[signature]
For anyone else that might be interested in the tournament at Millsite, here is a link to a post that another member made about it on the ice fishing board:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
If you like ice derby’s, this is a really well ran one. Last year, during our pathetic ice season, when other derby’s just cancelled- these guys rescheduled. When the ice never got good enough to fish, they turned it into an open water derby in March. I believe they offered a refund as well, if you didn’t want to fish open water. If your on the fence, I would do it. I don’t have anything to do with this derby, just passing it along.
[signature]
Is he the same guy that did the one at East canyon?
[signature]
No. I could be wrong, but it seemed to be put on in coordination with the DNR, the county and a gal named Amanda (she is very nice, organized and responds timely to emails). The raffle at the end was not a pay to play, done quickly and had great prizes. We got a pretty cool hoodie just for entering.
[signature]