Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KSL Outdoors and Wipers
So, Saturday evening, the episode of KSL Outdoors has a segment about the DWR getting ready to produce wipers, for the first time! ? I was sure that they have tried this already, several times, because I know that Wayne has taken eggs several times and they have talked about using a hormone treatment on the White bass to produce sperm for the process. So was this an old episode or what ???
I am not sure of any previous attempts but I have heard they are going to try.
[signature]
Hey Therapist,
A BFT buddy let us know about your inquiry. The segment we aired on the Lake Powell striped bass capture was shot November 6th of this year. We were told that this process has been in the making for three years and that this would be the DWR'S first time they have actually tried to produce wipers at a Utah hatchery. I know they have done some testing, just haven't taken it this far. I also learned that the DWR has been buying fry from out of state and instate from a company down south. I hope this helps.
Your question actually gave us some new direction in the Outdoors Department that should help this in future airings. We plan on putting the dates on every show, so viewers have an idea of when we were there.
Thanks for your question. Hopefully I've answered it? If you or anyone else ever have a comment or question, feel free to email me at [url "mailto:aeakle@ksl.com"]aeakle@ksl.com[/url]. Thanks, Adam
[signature]
[#0000FF]I know they have attempted to produce their own wipers before. I have assisted the DWR crew to collect female white bass at Utah Lake...for shipment to Lake Powell for introduction to sperm from male stripers. Due to problems in timing the ripeness of both male and female contributors at the same time...and other factors...the program did not succeed.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope it works better this time. The wiper situation at Willard has gone progressively downhill since the "great experiment".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the response Adam, it would make it easier to follow. My question came about because I know that they have captured male white bass, injected hormones to produce the sperm and then fertilized eggs from Powell with it. I also know that they experimented with cross fertilization, where they used Striper sperm to fertilize white bass eggs to compare which cross was most vigorous. I guess that I assumed that the experiments were part of the actual project to produce wipers. Glad that they are going to go into production now, it will enhance the ability of the DWR to manage the fisheries better. Thanks for your show and the information that you provide the public !!
[quote fstop2]Hey Therapist,
Your question actually gave us some new direction in the Outdoors Department that should help this in future airings. We plan on putting the dates on every show, so viewers have an idea of when we were there.
[/quote]
Great idea Adam, there have been several of your shows where members were wondering if they were new or recorded from a previous date. This should really help, thanks.
[signature]
I don't get KSL anymore due to the disagreement they have with Direct TV. I miss Adam's show.[:/][:/]
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]I don't get KSL anymore due to the disagreement they have with Direct TV. I miss Adam's show.[:/][:/][/quote]
[#0000FF]You can see most of his shows online at [url "https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=1113&title=watch-ksl-outdoors-with-adam-eakle---saturdays-at-1105pm"]ADAM[/url]. The program about the new wiper effort is one of the shows listed to click and watch.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have seen some shows on YouTube before. Hope they can continue.
Thanks to Adam for your efforts.
[signature]
Thanks I will try to pick them up there. Happy Thanksgiving.
[signature]
Call direct tv and tell them your disappointment and problem. My dad did and they have an adapter they put on that gives him ksl and they give him $100 in credits.
[signature]
I have an idea.
Quit messing around with wipers in Willard and just stock stripers.
Balance the predator to prey ratio by changing the striper bag limit, just like Wayne does in Powell.
Lots of freshwater impoundments in other states do exactly this.
Warning: Only do this if you like to catch stripers weighing in double digits.
[signature]
It might work. Or it might not.

Because White Bass do so well in Utah Lake, right? All it would take is one good year of spawn and the Stripers would overproduce and you'd have the exact problem at Willard as you do at Utah Lake. No limit on the White Bass, yet there's never enough food to get them to grow to any real size. And no way to go back to square one. The plan for Stripers at Lake Powell was that they would not be able to spawn very well. They thought that they'd be able to control the number of Stripers there. Guess what? They had nothing but trouble with overpopulated Stripers for decades.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
I'll take an overpopulation of 5-6lb stripers, with the occasional 34lb'er to boot, in Willard anyday.
[signature]
The problem is, that could never happen in Willard, one of the reasons wipers have never been caught there that are over a certain size is because the lake isn't deep enough to allow them to grow big. The fish biologist that originally had wipers stocked in Willard, many year ago, posted on this board and told us that they would never grow to their full potential because Willard is so shallow. The way things are now, there are many predators in the lake, if stripers were stocked, where their numbers could not be controlled like wipers are, that balance would get out of control and all the other fish would suffer because of the stripers being interduced into the mix.
[signature]
ACH !!! Stripers in Willard, Don Andriano is turning over in his grave !! Stripers in Willard is not a good idea, you would not be able to control the population. Stick with the Wiper program, because there are so many other waters that are benefiting.

As to the problem with White Bass growth! The lack of a forage species in Ut. Lake is the primary reason they cant grow bigger. However, there may be a genetic component there also because there has been stunting for so many years. Someone with more edumacation than me will have to answer that one. While the WB have their young of the year to prey on, everything else preys on them and the numbers never cease to diminish ! The size of the channel cat,walleye, and LMB, seem to be fairly stable on the WB diet, so my guess is there is some genetic component involved also !

Again,, NO STRIPERS IN WILLARD, very bad idea !!
Stripers in Willard would soon deplete any forage that was available. They would end up exactly like the White Bass in Utah Lake. Forced to eat their own young of the year they would be the only limiting factor keeping their numbers in any kind of check. Millions of starving, stunted Stripers doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]