Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live from Henry’s
The family decided to rent a cabin on Henry’s for Thanksgiving. Of course that means we’d be ice fishing. The day has been consistent so far. Some good quality fish have been caught with the biggest being 4 pounds.(no pic because I was alone then.) It’s not been hot but we’re catching fish and getting bites so I can’t complain.

I did have a first. I lost a polw down the hole as I dove for it. I keep wondering just how big that one was.

This is the first year Ive used jaw jackers on a few poles. I think we’ve landed 4 and had them go off around 15 times.

Jigging has helped with the bite and a white paddle bug with a piece of crawler is what I’ve settled in with. We’ve landed around 15 so far today and long released about that many.

The kids are having a blast as well riding around on their little snowmobile and razor. It’s been a light snow most of the day and the wind has been minimal. I’ll keep the info updated throughout the next 3 days. It’s also been awesome streaming the football games on my iPad. I actually just lost one at the hole as I was typing this!
[signature]
Be up tomorrow. Any brook trout yet?
[signature]
4 brooks so far. All pretty small.
[signature]
Nice, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Sounds fun! I was there yesterday. If you're having problems with jawjackers downsize your jigs. I usually thread a mealworm with no head on a small jig. Think scud size. I kept track yesterday and we had a hook up ratio of 75%. When the fish got more aggressive we switched to paddle bugs tipped with nightcrawler.

Windriver
[signature]
That’s a great idea! We will do that. Thank you for sharing.

We’re back on the ice after dinner. We’ll see how it goes when the sun goes down.
[signature]
Were you at Staley’s today? I was there and a group was using a ton of jaw jackers. I was only there for 90 minutes before trying someother spots but it was awesome at first and then died off. Will be back tomorrow morning Smile
[signature]
I normally fish Staley’s but we’re staying on the northeast side of the lake so that’s where we’re fishing.

Tonight was super slow. Had 2 good ones up to the hole but that was it for the evening. The only lake I’ve ever found that fishes consistently as good or better in the dark is strawberry.

I’ll be back at it at O’ dark 30 in tomorrow. I’m planning on doing some exploring on the snowmobile after the morning bite here. I’ll keep ya posted.
[signature]
Me and my son were just to the south of the county boat dock by the big point. Best day on Henrys we have ever experienced. Between the two of us we landed and released over 60 fish. We were in very shallow water probably about 3-4’ is all. We were using a white and hot pink 1/8oz PK flutter fish topped with a small piece of sucker meat. I usually don’t fish wish lures and bait this big at Henry’s but today this is what they wanted.
[signature]
Hey J-man might see ya this weekend. We’ll be at the Outlet, Pintail, and some creek mouths.
[signature]
What is the thickness of the ice gotten up to guys?
[signature]
I owe you Windriver. My daughter was able to land her biggest trout of her life with your tip. Thank you!

Fishing was slow at first this morning but has picked up for the noon bite. My daughter landed this beauty. Ice is around 6 inches. We’ve had the snowmobile out on it without any issues.

Jigging is still helping the bite but the ice fly jawjacker combo has caught a bunch as well.
[signature]
Nice fish. Looks like you had a great day.
[signature]
That is great. Beautiful fish! We fished from 6:00-2:30. Caught a huge number of fish but only a few big ones and no giants. We caught 90% jigging paddle bugs or using the jigging jawjackers with small 1/64 oz. Ice flies.

Windriver
[signature]
Anyone driving up from the valley in the morning . The roads are going to be bad . I was elk hunting up there today and they were slick . When I headed home at 5pm it was raining and they are predicting 3" of new snow tonight. So I think we will have ice under the snow . Please be careful out there .
[signature]
Hey Dave! I’d love to get out with you. Are you going out tomorrow? Taking the day off today and considering tomorrow. Text me if you get this 8013601003

Fished Staley’s forts thjng yesterday and the mobs with their power augers and the need to Swiss cheese the ice in 4 ft of water killed the bite. So noisy! Caught one right off the bat and then decided to relocate after 20 minutes.

Moved to the outlet and after setting up, a large group with snowmobiles set up no joke 10 yards from us. If that wasn’t bad enough, one of the guys had was a “bro” yelling and talking loud the whole time and cursed out his kids like I had never heard before. Would also drive his snowmobile in circles around our tent as it was funny or fine. Must have been drunk but such an asshole.

Whenever the group got quiet, we’d catch steadily. Caught around a dozen in 2 hours with my wife and three kids in our tent. Called it a day at noon when we couldn’t handle the asshole anymore. Landed one almost 5 lb hybrid but fish were smaller than I typically see.
[signature]
That is why I prefer to fish alone or with my son. Noise and movement can kill a good day of fishing especially at Henrys. It’s nice when the ice has a bit of snow on it to insulate the sounds and hide shadows and movements. Sorry you had a bad experience Jman. That’s why I only go up once or twice during the ice bite. Just too many people and a few sour apples that come with them. I’ll wait until my favorite pond hardens up and slay them as usual there. One trip a year on the ice at Henry’s is good enough for me.
[signature]
There are some places that are easy access that are crowded. But it is not hard to get away from them . If you are willing to fish 200 yards from the hot spots . At Staleys if you go a hundred yards east . The fishing is usually as good as right in the springs . At the hatchery walk 200 hundred yards South. It doesn't help to get there early . Someone is going to setup by you . If you get there about 9am . Most people are already setup and less likely to follow you to your spot .
[signature]
Thanks Curt69, you always have helpful info.
[signature]