Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree sign
How do you type a degree sign? Like 82°. Place your cursor where you want the symbol then press Alt0176. ° See, it works! Try it.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Did not work for me. Must be different that holding down the alt button and pressing 0176
[signature]
Try this Alt + 248. 82°. Press the Alt key and at the same time type 248 on the numbers keypad. Did that work?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote catchinon]Try this Alt + 248. 82°. Press the Alt key and at the same time type 248 on the numbers keypad. Did that work?[/quote]

Nope, did not work but I don't have a numbers keypad on my laptop.
[signature]
Rocky told us a while back how to add a degree sign to a post, but I don't remember what he said now but it seems to me that it was pretty easy, maybe he will see this and let us know.
[signature]
This is strange, I can make the alt0176° & alt248° work from my side number keyboard but not from the regular keyboard with numbers at top. [:/][bobConfused]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]° (Alt0176 from number pad)[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]° (Alt248 from number pad)[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Neither works from keypad at top of keyboard.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Same here. Works on number keypad only.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Being computer challenged must be one of my challenges, because I can't get it to work.
[signature]
Make sure that num-lock is off.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Num Lock off and all I accomplish is opening a new window in Firefox.
[signature]
Same result with Chrome.
[signature]
It only (repeat ONLY) works with a keyboard that has a separate numbers keypad.

That means not on a phone, not on a tablet, not on a smartwatch, and not on a laptop with function-enabled numbers.

° See?
[signature]
I'm using a desktop computer with a separate number keyspad.
[signature]
Are you holding the Alt key down WHILE typing the numbers? And leaving the + sign out?
[signature]

Do you have any other codes that can intrigue us?
[signature]
Don't feel bad Kent, I finally got home and tried it on my PC there, with the separate keyboard and it still does not work. One of the numbers takes we back one page, as if I hit the back button, the other number opens a new tab[crazy].
[signature]
[quote catchinon]

Are you holding the Alt key down WHILE typing the numbers? And leaving the + sign out?

[/quote]

Yep, no biggee I am completely happy just typing degree or degrees.
[signature]
I get similar results, but I will somehow survive.
[signature]
They are ASCII codes, but don't work with all fonts or browsers.

I keep this website bookmarked to remember other useful characters such as ½ (Alt171) and ² (Alt253)

[url "http://rmhh.co.uk/ascii.html"]http://rmhh.co.uk/ascii.html
[/url]

BTW, I'm using Firefox on Win10, and Times New Roman font. That combo works.
[signature]