Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite ice jig rigs
One of my go to's is jigging a tipped kastmaster. Have to find what degree of jigging they want per day.
Crome neon blue stripe 1/8 oz. does the best for me.
[signature]
I agree that your rig would detect a rise. I think I'll learn something when I try the setup this ice season.

Thanks
[signature]
Fish one of each. Some days, one will outcatch the other two to one or more. That's fishing.
[signature]
Forgive the crudeness of the drawing attached below. I'm trying to show how to tie the jig dropshot style with a uniknot.
[signature]
Another good one is a Hali jig replacement hook/chain hooked to the bottom of a Kastmaster or Pimple.
No tangles and you can also detect an upward bite due to the weight of the chain lifting.
[signature]
Interesting. I happen to have a hali that I've never used. Going to have to get out of my comfort zone this year.
Thanks for the tip. [bobhappy]
[signature]
[#0000FF]There's no denying the effectiveness of the Hali Jigs. But the big problem using them in Utah is that they are made for perch and panfish...and we gots some toothy fishies like big trout and walleyes that don't read the "Panfish Only" sign. One bout with big teeth can do serious damage to those little chains.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Naturally, I have been making my own versions for a long time. I use painted weights...with glow...and instead of the small chain I use light wire. It doesn't seem to repel fish at all. I have caught grundles on them. And I have also landed some large toothy fishies...including northerns and tiger muskies.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Of course the Hali Jigs are trademark named. So I call mine "Holy Jigs". Anybody can make their own, or as you suggested, add a short wire and jig to any type of jigging spoon or other lure. And a short 4-6" length of wire is all you need. As you said...no tangles either.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat.
I sure miss your ice reports.....
You and The Babe have a Merry Christmas!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks back atcha Shane. I miss my ice reports too. I actually miss the lab work more than the classroom part.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]And happy holiday wishes to you and your lovely better half too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The following video shows how to make a perch dropper rig. Of course it can be modified and adapted any way you want. I believe I will be trying it this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2xrgAYJHI
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I used to use a spoon above my ice fly, but tungsten jigs has changed that. I’m now using rods that have a tip section as sensitive as a spring bobber (I hate spring bobbers). A 5mm tungsten has enough weight to load the tip so you can see up bites. This is for pan fish, for trout I still don’t use a spoon flasher if I have a tungsten head or fish 1/8 oz lead. Much less tangles. If a spoon is the trigger, I just use that. The $5 per tungsten is pricey, but it’s worth it. I take 5 pre rigged rods and never change lures unless I really dial down on a pattern. I hardly ever loose set ups ice fishing.
[signature]
I think MacMan and I think alike at times. I’ve really scaled back my rigs to just small tungsten jigs with half a meal worm or small fathead minnow. At Henry’s this weekend I had my best luck on a glow darthead jig that Pat made for me last year. Just tipped it with minnow and jigged it and the fish couldn’t leave it alone. Every day is different but that’s my favorite so far this season. Later J
[signature]
Oops wrong picture, the Maniacs worked too, but this one is the one I mentioned. Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]

At Henry’s this weekend I had my best luck on a glow darthead jig that Pat made for me last year. Just tipped it with minnow...

[/quote]

Gulp minnow?
[signature]
Fathead minnow. Got a few at Cutler before it started to freeze. They are only 1-2”ers but enough to add some flavor. Wish I had more. Later J
[signature]
I'll tell you one thing I don't use anymore is a black swivel. Generally I sight-fish in a dark tent when fishing on Fish Lake and fully half the perch hits I get will be on that swivel. Silver works better, but a blood knot works best.
[signature]