Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 12-5-18
Not sure what I was thinking going fishing in 10 degree weather but it turned into a snow storm so it warmed up some. But the fish didn’t care and even though I couldn’t get my anchor out of the locker and all my controls were frozen up so I couldn’t control the boat in those waves I still got into the fish. Got 4 nice cutties and two fair 18” Whitefish so it had to be a good day because I hardly got a decent cast in before I’d drifted out of the zone. It was fun but not easy at all. One of the toughest days I’ve had to fish. Think I’m done in the boat for the year it was hard on everything today. Got to drive home through more snow. Oh I did see Brookie and Humpy at the ramp. They headed to the other side of the lake so I don’t know how they faired today. Later J
[signature]
Thats dedication. You will never be accused of being a fair weather weekend fisherman.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, pictures, and the perseverance. By the looks of the one picture, your not done with the boat yet.

It looks like it's due for the car wash before retiring for the winter.[Wink]
[signature]
I decided I need better equipment if I keep trying to play this time of year. Motor quit and wouldn’t start and I was drifting away for awhile so I started to think it’s time for a better setup. But then it started and I repented of those thoughts. My throttle and shift cables were froze and broke today, plus the throttle cable was froze solid. Just not a fun situation so it’s good the fish were biting. I am glad I didn’t take the toon today. Those waves were almost coming over the back end of the boat. Glad I have that trough in the back that drains back out cause it was filled many times today. If I would have gotten wet in the toon it would be ugly. I’m glad the ice is almost ready to go so I can park the water toys. Later J
[signature]
You’re so right that is such a mess and it’s only 20 degrees so I don’t know how to clean it up tonight. May have to wait for a warmer day. Thanks for the comments. J
[signature]
Jeff, I survived surgery so before the narcotics take me out here in 20 minutes I just want to say that fuel injected kickers will change everything.
I put a fuel injected 9.9 Suzuki on my boat a few months ago and it is amazing. Fires up immediately and doesn't even miss a beat.
No battery required to run. It does have electric start but has a recoil starter also. It puts out 12 amps of juice so it basically is a little generator that also pushes my boat around.
I wired it to my main motor battery of course so that it tops off my main battery due to FF, downriggers, live well,etc electrical needs.
I wouldn't be surprised if it saves my life one day.
[signature]
Hey Shane glad you made it through the surgery... Hope the meds keep it from hurting too bad, but I know you'll have a couple days of nastiness to go through... Best of luck to you and I appreciate the tips on the kicker motors... I sure need to update my old junk, but just don't want any more debt, so I'll have to make due till I can afford something else... Boy that road spray has made a terrible mess of the whole boat, hope it warms up to freezing tomorrow so I can spray it off... Anyway best of luck on the recovery Shane and hope you can get through it quickly and well... Later Jeff
[signature]
Yes it was a tough day. Drove on snowy roads all the way from my house to the ramp. Almost slid into the garbage bin at the top of the ramp and had to disconnect the boat and put the chains on to get unstuck. Needed the chains to launch anyway because there was ice under the snow on the ramp. Steering cable was frozen for a short time, but thawed out. Finally got to fishing at 10:00 AM. We also caught four cutthroat and two whitefish (although our whitefish were smaller than yours) but one of the cutts was larger, so I guess it was about sixes. Hands nearly froze and definitely impacted being able to fish. I think the low front had an impact on the spawn, because whities were few and far between.
[signature]
I assume you launched on the east side. I was afraid with the waves I couldn’t load alone very well so I wanted the protection of the harbor and the way the boat was at the end of the day I was glad I made that call. Do you have any pictures of the big cuttie. They are such pretty fish. How did the rest of the boat load do? Craig being a first timer, I hope he got one at least. Cold day if you don’t get a tug. Later J
[signature]
We had a tough day as well. Humpy and I started with Skunked at the marina. We pulled out and saw Jeff catch one right away. We fished there for a bit without any Love and then headed for the other side. It was slow going across the pond and the spray froze to the windshield as we went - looked like bathroom shower glass.

We started at Cisco Beach and I got 3 whites right off. We then moved south. Fished first and second point without success - hits now and then but could not bring in any more. It was so cold the electric trolling motor would not work so we had to use the anchor to stay in place. It was hard on the equipment.

3 was the final tally. Good company however - Thanks Jon for the invite.
[signature]
I was worried for you guys taking off across that big ole wavy lake. Glad you made it okay... In that nice boat I bet you were okay, but still not the best day to play on the lake... Sorry the fish didn't play so well today... This time of year it sure gets hard on everything, that ice build up and freezing cables isn't much fun. I know I was ready to get into the warm truck by the time I quit for the day.. I was pretty disappointed with the whitefish, I'd hoped there would have been a few more of them, but they were pretty few and far between... I tried graphing the area and never seen many of them, but I did luck out and didn't snag up today.. However, four of my five rods got so froze up they quit working and I had to go to the next rod so I could keep casting. I had braid on a couple of them and that ice on the line really made a mess and tangled lines and yup not an easy day to fish... Glad you made it back okay... Later J
[signature]
Hard core man, hard core. I'm getting soft, what you did scares me.
[signature]
Days like that make me rethink my desire to be on deadliest catch. Don’t think I could cut it. Those ocean going fishermen are hardcore for sure. I’m too much of a land lover. It does make ice sound a lot better. Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]

I assume you launched on the east side.

[/quote]

Yes, First Point.
[quote SkunkedAgain]

Do you have any pictures of the big cuttie.

[/quote]

No, they struggled to get it unhooked and because it was a native we got it back in the water as quickly as possible.
[quote SkunkedAgain]
How did the rest of the boat load do?

[/quote]

It went fine except that there are a bunch of rocks on the ramp that made it difficult.
[quote SkunkedAgain]

Craig being a first timer, I hope he got one at least. [/quote]

Craig caught the biggest cutthroat but unfortunately wasn't able to catch a whitefish.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote SkunkedAgain]

I assume you launched on the east side.

[/quote]

Yes, First Point.
[quote SkunkedAgain]

Do you have any pictures of the big cuttie.

[/quote]

No, they struggled to get it unhooked and because it was a native we got it back in the water as quickly as possible.
[quote SkunkedAgain]
How did the rest of the boat load do?

[/quote]

It went fine except that there are a bunch of rocks on the ramp that made it more difficult than it should have been.
[quote SkunkedAgain]

Craig being a first timer, I hope he got one at least. [/quote]

Craig caught the biggest cutthroat but unfortunately wasn't able to catch a whitefish.[/quote]
[signature]
That was us fishing off of Second Point. I was wondering why you weren't using your electric.
[signature]
I suspected it was you - I just didn't recognize the boat.
[signature]
I don't recall when you fished with me, but I have owned this boat since September 2014.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=899450;search_string=My%20new%20ride;#899450"]
[/url]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=899450;search_string=My%20new%20ride;#899450"]Link to boat[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the answers Kent, Later Jeff
[signature]
That looks like a hard day getting to the water glad i went on tuesday small waves no snow in the canyon have fun cleaning your boat
[signature]