Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antlerless elk in Uintas
My brother, his daughter, and I went north of Neola last Saturday. My brother bagged a cow, but his daughter has yet to ever get an elk. We are going back out Saturday. Does anyone know of someplace closer to the Wasatch Front on the South Slope where we might find some elk? Any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

What unit do you have a tag for Craig? From my experience, late season cow hunting is best on South and West facing slopes, those are the first to shed their snow, so the Deer and elk will feed in those areas. One of the last late season elk hunts I went on, we were lucky to find a whole herd feeding on such a slope and three of us got our cows in a few minutes.
[signature]
Thanks Curt. I got one in exactly such a place yesterday. We drove right up on them. Dry heifer, good eats. We probably saw 150 elk; unfortunately my niece still couldn't get a shot she liked. We're going to practice some hurry-up shooting before next season.

Once we ran into some cowboys gathering during the elk season. One old guy got to telling stories and came out with what seemed to be his favorite saying: "Where there's lead there's danger!" We still quote him and laugh about his philosophy of firing away in the hopes of hitting something. But I've missed 100% of the animals I haven't shot at.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.