Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report 12/6/2018 Thursday.
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
Fished Bear Lake today with my good friend and his 11 year old son. We started at 9:00am and finished up at 1:45 pm. We kept a 30 fish limit of Bonneville whitefish and also release another 6-7 fish that were smaller. I also caught one nice cutthroat trout while fishing for whitefish. We did not target trout but they are in the shallows eating whitefish eggs. We started at the Utah State Park marina and caught at least ½ of our fish there. Then we moved to a few other rocky shoreline areas to finish up our limits. Used 1/8 oz jigs with both plastic and road-runner variety (green, dark red and black) tipped with Berkeley Power worms (not night crawler size, but the little worms). They stay on the hook much better than real worms and work just as well if not better. We caught all of our fish in 9 feet or less of water. We anchored in 9’ and casted toward shore and caught fish in as little as 4 feet of water. Don’t use your electric motor to hold on the whitefish. The electric motors spook fish in the shallow, clear waters of Bear Lake. The whitefish we caught ran from about 16-20” with a few smaller ones tht we released. The ramp at the Utah State Park marina is clear of snow and ice and it was easy launching and I didn’t even have to use 4-wheel drive. The parks also shoveled off the courtesy dock when we came back in so that was nice too. Temperature at the start was about 12 degree and finished up about 25 degrees. Had to periodically suck on the rod tips to keep them free of ice. The females and males were both dripping eggs/milt so the run is peaking and should be good for another week or so. Logan Canyon is clear of ice and snow today since I saw a couple of boat that came over and they were pretty clear of slush/ice.
[inline IMG_2766.JPG]

[inline IMG_2762.JPG]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the report!
[signature]
[quote BearLakeFishGuy][font "Times New Roman"] [/font]

Don’t use your electric motor to hold on the whitefish. The electric motors spook fish in the shallow, clear waters of Bear Lake.

[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/quote]

Sure wish I would have remembered that on Wednesday.
[signature]
Thanks for that very informative report Scott. I hope to catch a few myself on Saturday.

--- Coot ---
[signature]