Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying my Christmas present
I'm thinking about buying me a collapsible shade for my 16 ft aluminum boat.
I have a few questions about it working, or will it be a problem when collapsed. I don't have much room and not sure if it will mount well.
Can you leave them up when motoring around fast?
Not sure if it will be to much trouble. Any suggestions?
Thanks need your help.
[signature]
It depends on how well you are able to secure the shade whether or not you can motor fast with it up. If you can secure it well then no problem, and if not it will need to come down before you are boating at full throttle.
[signature]
I have a 16ft Tracker aluminum boat with a 60hp motor. I put a bimini top on mine soon after I bought it. I got a taller version so that I could stand under it. I travel at full speed on the water (27 mph) with no problems. I mounted it in the middle of the boat so that it can be folded down and be flipped either to the stern or the bow. Insure that when mounting it, that it will not interfere with the motor being raised. Be aware that there are different size aluminum poles for the frame. The larger diameter the better for handling the wind while travelling. Never trailer on the road with top up.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
If your not in a hurry to do this the 2019 Utah Boat Show is coming in February. Businesses that do RV & Boat enclosures and Bimini tops are usually there. A good time to help make a decision on what your wanting to do. Also having a design constructed for ad-on for later to ease out of pocket expense all at once. A lot of the after market businesses use either round aluminum or round stainless steel poles Bimini structure. Some of the actual boat manufacturers use a square pole which my opinion is better.

https://tradeshowz.com/utah-boat-show
[signature]
I have a 16' lund I installed a bimini I got on amazon it came with the storage boot and I opted to get the uprights for storage when its not opened...if that makes sense. Zero issues at full speed when open I do lower it off the uprights when travelling the highway a couple bungee cords keeps it secure! Worth its weight in gold my opinion!!
[signature]
I have a 14 ft. Lund with a Bimini top. Top collapses together so the boot can be zipped on, then lays down just behind my bow seat. I only have a 15 HP outboard, so fast travel is only about 9 mph max on calm water [cool] but it stays in place quite well. I had mine installed by the dealer in 2007 when I bought the boat, It's higher than some so I can stand under it. Of course, one should NEVER trailer a boat down the road with the sun top up.
Have never needed any repair to the top, but have had other canvas jobs done at Brian's Canvas in Freeport Center. Outstanding workmanship, and fairly priced.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks everyone I will get me one. Just shop around to find one . my boat is a bass tracker, but its an old one made out of aluminum. The top of the sides are about 1 1/2 wide.
Where do you suggest to buy , and install?
[signature]
I have an 18ft crestliner. I purchased a bimini top 2 years ago. i have actually had it up twice. took it off this year it was always in the way when it was down. guess when my wife retires it might be put back on.
[signature]
Preface to my idea for a shade: I've toyed with the thought of an electric trolling motor powered tiny boat or even my inflatable pontoon fly fishing boat getting an electric trolling motor. The reasons I haven't done so are that rowing is good exercise and my latest switch in fishing styles has been a focus on shore fishing (but I'm always gradually changing to new styles). But, the reason for the trolling motor persists -- I really like the idea of the contour map following and effortless holding over a school of fish while my focus would be on catching fish.

My shade would be one of the largest solar pannels on the market. I would custom fabricate strong lightweight structure (Tungsten Inert Gas welded aluminum, stainless steel or titanium) to hold it up and rigidly position it to allow casting and to put it in the right place for shade over me and even tilt to the sun for greatest efficiency to charge the trolling motor battery even as I'm using it. My thoughts are on lightweight lithium batteries that have plenty of power for a short time yet charge fast. Combined with a large solar panel, I can hold over an area (not much power) while it charges after using power to get there and by the time I'm ready to go back the batteries would be charged again. But, the feature that entices me the most is it will be powered day after (sunny) day for outings that are using some of my vacation time.

I'm thinking that with a strudy design, I would be able to leave it up even while towing on the highway.
[signature]
I ordered mine thru Amazon in 2015. It was not one of the expensive ones , but I have been very satisfied with it. At under $200 I figured that I could replace it if needed with a new one compared to the cost of one from Overton's. It makes a world of difference in the summer sun. Make sure that you buy one wide enough so that it will rest on your gunnel when folded down vs laying inside so as not to introduce added stress on the gunnel mount. PM me if you want to come look at mine in Brigham or ask more questions. Here is a link to where I got mine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7N...UTF8&psc=1
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I have an extra Bimini that came off of a 17 ft fiberglass boat. If your ever in the Roy area you could check it out and also see the setup on
2 I have installed on my 20fter. They both zip together.

PM me if interested.
[signature]
I have installed 3 of them and know more than I should about the ins and outs, feel free to shoot over your number and can help with ideas.
[signature]
Thank you but ill be doing installation in the spring. Not needed now.
[signature]