Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loaded Question - Which Rod
I know this is a loaded question but need some help as I am obsessing and in the end does not matter a whole lot. Most likely need Remo’s input as he another salty-fairy-wand guy.

I am heading to Belize the end of March (cant wait) and cannot stop thinking of what #9 to get for my trip. I have an Echo 3s Ti in an #8 and really wanted to get a matching #9 but Echo no longer makes these rods. Yes, I can find them on Ebay but have a contact and can get it for a lot cheaper than full retail but she has to order from the distributor...and discontinued for 2019. Should have ponied up the dough last spring.

Also looking at the Echo Boost Salt, Redington Crux/Predator, some used Sage Xi-2, Xi-3, RPLXi...even the Cabela’s Atoll.

This rod will be paired with a Redington Grande Torque. The rod will also be used for my annual late summer/early fall Powell trips so it will be used, not a ton, but used.

I want a fast action rod around the $500 retail range. I am sure you all have opinions...
[signature]
Do you want a 9 wt. just for Belize? Or just because you want a new 9 wt. rod? You will not “need” [Wink] a 9 wt. in Belize for the fish. The bones in Belize are on the smaller side and so are the Permit. But it does get windy so a 9 wt. may be a good choose.

I have an Echo 8 wt. also but you can’t go wrong with a sage. So many of the newer rods in the $500 range I would say are comparable. Good luck with the choice and have fun in Belize.
[signature]
Hey Remo. Yes, I want 9 wt for more than just Belize. I need something for Lake Powell and other bass fishing. Sage is definitely in the running. I’m totally obsessing. I just need to enjoy Christmas, relax, and obsess over this first world decision in a month.

HM
[signature]
Easy. Go to a shop or two and cast a few. Most 9 weights are practically the same: broomsticks. Telephone poles. Stiff as a board. They have to be to cast that heavy of a line. I've fished a few different 8's, 9's, 10's and even had a 12 for a few years. They're all big sticks. They don't flex much until you hook a fish. Don't fret over it. I've had good luck with some TFO's over the years, for a lot less than $500. The Orvis Clearwaters have served me well tarpon fishing in Mexico. All you're going to do is double-haul the sucker and shoot it out there. Cast a few and see.
[signature]
Thanks Jim. That advice is way to practical and logical for me right now. I am giddy with anticipation and still have 3 months to wait...exactly three months. March 19 is when I head out.

I actually need to get out there a practice on a few #9's. I know they are stout but need that for bass here at home as well as the salty species.

I have caught bonefish, baby tarpon, and permit before and cannot wait to get back there. Maybe some snook will come and play too.

HM.
[signature]
Do you have a guide? Or are you just wading? Mainland or out on the islands? We stay on Ambergris and you can just wade and catch lots of bones. Stop by the shop in San Pedro (downtown) Tres Pescados and they should have info. or you can book a guide. I went out with a local kid one day to the reef and trolled up some king mackerel and some big barracuda. I actually hooked a sailfish right off the reef on a small rapala.

https://youtu.be/XmBVqnw54CY
[signature]
Yes, we do have guide. BlueHorizons. Fish on the menu will be baby tarpon, bones, permit and snook, if they’re up. I’m bringing an #8 and a #9 with plenty of flies. We are fishing 3 morning half days, so we have some afternoons to wade fish the beach and the lagoons. Staying on the mainland. So jazzed.
[signature]
I have an Orvis Recon in 10wt and absolutely love it! For $450 you can't go wrong. I paired mine with the Redington Behemoth and couldn't be happier!
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip! I can't even fathom casting a 10 wt rod, lol...has to feel like a 2x4! Big Grin
[signature]